1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Airport security, just in time for Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HackyMcHack, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I hold Timothy McVeigh responsible.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I agree with people carrying on way too much stuff. The solution - charge for carry on and not checked. I usually check everything I can, but not at those prices. Reward me for going through security with my laptop bag and my book and my fat ol' body.

Last flight I was on, people were taking big bags through security and then gate-checking them for free. I calmly went up and explained I had played by the rules, checked my smaller bag and now I wanted a refund. They gave it to me.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I used to do carry-on only for work travel. I had a rolling suitcase that fit in the overhead and I would travel with that and my computer bag. I had a really bad experience with Delta losing my bag early in my career that forced me to run to Wal-mart to buy clothes before I covered a hoops game that night. I demanded that Delta reimburse me and instead of doing that, I got a $300 voucher.

When they started the crackdown on the 3 ounce rule, I started checking everything except my laptop.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Damn, that worked? I get pissed about that all the time. I could definitely get my duffel bag through and then gate check it, but it's not small enough to fit on the plane with me so I check it as I'm supposed to and pay the fee.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Israel bases everything on profiling and behavior analyses. Unfortunately the profiling part would not be acceptable in N America.

I do not think the Israel model is replicatable in N America because of the quality of people that do the security. It is a job that anyone can get and the bottom of the barrel gets scraped.

In Israel they have a culturally motivated workforce made up of mainly college kids who do not look at it as a career, simply a job while going to school so no complacency sets in.

Factor in that most of them would be ex-military and you get a better crop of people (plus you only have to do this at one airport)

Airport security is a PR exercise and nothing more. The next threat will not be stopped by some gomer making just above minimum wage patting down the waistband on Gramma's Depends.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Suddenly I am having a PK moment, but doubt my blackberry could withstand the workload of describing our man going through the naked xray. Maybe later.

Anyway, I go through the naked xray whenever possible, just because there is zero waiting in line. Flash and go.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Airport security exists for one reason -- to cover the asses of those responsible for it. Once the terrorists figure out just how vulnerable to getting blown to bits the people standing in the security line are, air travel itself will be banned by an act of Congress. They'll keep us safe if it kills us.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Exactly.

9. Moderator1

Yeah it worked - I was debating on my walk to the little counter whether to show controlled outrage and be very pleasant (which is very hard for me to do). I picked pleasant and the woman couldn't have been nicer about things. She told me I was right and said she appreciated I tried to do things right and it was not fair.

Another day the same approach may lead to me being told to screw off.

I still say charge for carry on and things get easier.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And the terrorists have my toothpaste. I forgot about the 3-oz rule recently and carried on my toiletries bag with a big 'ol new tube of toothpaste. The screener took it and lectured me, I said "well, give it to charity or something." Then she told me they couldn't even do that, because of possible contamination. Absurd.

11. Moderator1

Do people still make bhongs out of old toothpaste tubes? Not that I've ever heard of that, seen it or known anyone who actually did. I'm just curious.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I have security screeners have arguements on who was taking what from the confiscated items. These people and the agency that run them are a joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted