1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Airport Security - Ion Blast Screening

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Aug 7, 2006.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Anyone been through one of these machines?

Going through security yesterday, all first class and premier passengers 'allowed' into a short line, which led to this bizarre machine.

You stand inside, and intense puffs of air blast at you, starting at your head and moving down. Completely frreaked me out. Supposedly it detects explosives on your body. You stand there until the voice says you can go. Still had to walk through the metal detector.

I felt completely violated--I would like some choice in whether my body is bombarded with ions against my will. I was afraid to ask if I could just get into the regular security lines, worried they would think I was hiding explosives and strip search me right there.

I travel a lot, never seen this. Anyone?

2. I've been through it a few times.

I liked the fact that it was faster than the normal line.

Couple of puffs of air - don't sweat it.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I did one about a month ago for the first time. It's really freaky. There was a little kid in front of me on line and they let him go through the metal detector without getting air blasted. They thought he might freak out.

Interesting story in the new Atlantic Monthly about how things look from Al Queda's perspective post 9/11. James Fallows wrote it. He talked to 60 different "experts." Won't get into the whole article, which made the point that we have done a lot right post 9/11. But one expert made the point that we are blowing a huge wad on airport security but it is mostly to make the flying public feel safer, not as a cost effective way to prevent terrorism; with even small upgrades in security, like the locked cockpit doors, the next attack isn't likely to be done the same way, using airplanes as missiles.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Went through this for the first time recently. Didn't seem a big deal but I may have had the JV version.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Wonder what happens if you rip a nasty one while you're in there? A little ion blast of your own, as it were.

6. ZING!

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Went through it last weekend for the first time in -- of all places -- Gulfport, Miss. One-line security, so it wasn't that bad.

I'm not looking forward to the first time in a place like Orlando, where the security lines are endless.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Do you get a glaucoma test at the same time?

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I experienced this machine for the first time when I brought some visitors to the Statue of Liberty about two years ago. Now they have them almost everywhere.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is meant as an interlude, not a thread jack, but the most fascinating thing about the Statue of Liberty is how many New Yorkers I know who have never been to it, or haven't visited since their third-grade class trip. It's amazing that it can be so close and accesible and seemingly the only people who visit it are people who have traveled long distances to see it.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Kind of like people who live in Orlando who have never been to Disneyworld.

BTW, what's the point of using this Ion Blast (sounds like a new Dairy Queen treat) on a few select people? Shouldn't it be used on everybody?

Oh and 21, did they at least buy you dinner first?

Draft saved Draft deleted