1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Airlines I have flown

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 11, 2008.

1. crap

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Really? The last time I flew out of Frankfurt, I had a horrible experience. My group and I got there at 9 a.m. for a 3 p.m. flight (it was a connection flight...we went Rome-Frankfurt-Detroit) and, of course, in our terminal where we were taking off from, there was a flight leaving before ours from Tel Aviv.

So we have to change terminals to get over to where we were taking off from from where we landed. We cross the airport and we see all of these shops (and what was possibly the longest security line ever) and we get into our terminal, expecting to have something to do for the next five or so hours...and there was a duty-free shop and absolutely NO PLACE to sit. So we ended up sitting on this cold stone floor for about four hours (and most of us on about an hour of sleep because the night before, the 16-year-old idiot boy who went with us decided to drink 2/3rds of a bottle of Bacardi to avoid wasting it and also to avoid awkward questions with customs and/or his parents, and we spent most of the night until about 1 a.m. trying to convince him not to jump out the window of our hotel. It was a funny night, we ended up dressing him up in a tube top and a skirt, giving him a makeover and plucking his eyebrows. Maybe it should go without saying that he was the only boy on this trip?) so we were exhausted as well.

We finally get to go in and sit down and that's when we look outside and there's no tarmac outside. We had to walk outside, be loaded onto buses (three buses full) and go all the way across the airport and take the stairs onto the plane. And, instead of doing the brilliant thing and letting each bus get off as it arrived, they waited until all three buses were there and completely stopped and then let everyone out, so it took about three times as long as it should have. Plus, my seatmate that time only spoke French and smelled really bad.

Let's see...onto the actual topic now.

I've flown Delta, Northwest, Southwest (I think) US Airways, United and American Airlines.

I have no idea what model of plane I was on that was the largest, but in coach, every aisle had 11 people in it (three on each outside and then five in the middle...and on that flight to London, I was in the middle seat in the middle row. I don't normally get claustrophobic, but five hours in that seat and I was about to die.)

I've flown on a plane that only sat four (small private plane), so that was cool. The pilot even let me take the wheel for a few minutes, so that was fun.

But yeah, all of this flying has been in the last six years. My parents don't fly, they prefer to drive everywhere, mostly because my dad hates heights and my mom had a traumatic turbulent flight to California once. I am apparently the only one in the family who doesn't really mind flying to get places.

Oh, and if you're giving advice to someone who has never flown before...it is NOT a brilliant idea to spend the three-hour drive to the airport arguing about which part of the takeoff is the worst: when the nose goes up or when the butt falls out. That's literally the conversation my parents subjected me to before my first-ever flight (which was international as well).

Oh, and as for coolest airport? Minneapolis, hands down. I had a five hour layover in that airport and wasn't bored at all.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Does a Blue Angels F-18 count?

I don't know what my overall list looks like, but I also have SAS, Sabena, Austrian, Lufthansa and one small fly-by-night airline I took inside Alaska many years ago.

I wish I'd been able to fly the Concorde -- just once.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

OK, I'll give this a shot.

Republic
    Eastern
    Braniff
    TWA
    Northwest
    Southwest
    AirTran
    America Trans Air
    Delta
    US Air
    American/American Eagle
    United
    Midwest
    Skyway
    Frontier
    Alaska
    Ozark

EDIT: Adding Ozark to the list and my list of largest planes ... Flew on a 747 once from (get this) Minneapolis to Detroit. I have no idea why they were flying a jumbo on such a short route other than they needed that plane at DTW for an outgoing.

Flew on a few DC-10s and a couple Lockhed 1011s.

I believe I recall being on a couple of 767s but haven't been on a 777 or the Airbus 380, and with less and less work travel I don't anticipate getting to do so, either.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Wow, let's see:

DOMESTIC:
    Delta
    US Airways
    Continental
    United
    Northworst
    AirTran
    American (but never voluntarily; only as a last resort when another flight was canceled)
    Southwest

INTERNATIONAL
    Air Canada
    Scandinavian
    Cimber
    Air France

RIP DIVISION
    TWA

Largest plane: 747 from San Francisco to Sydney

Smallest plane: DeHavilland Dash-8, several times

6. part-timer

part-timer Member

Maybe some of the more senior members of the board will remember Evergreen International. I flew them to Florida back in the 70s and later remember hearing they were actually owned by the CIA or something like that.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Southwest.
    AirTran

No mas.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

That site is awesome! I just spent 45 mins plugging in all my flights from the last year.

Thanks, Webby!

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'm definitely jumping on that site Webby pointed to . . . I'm a huge airline geek. The list:

Eastern
    National (original, not the Vegas-based one)
    United
    TWA
    Golden West
    Continental
    Ozark
    Skyway (this was a commuter from STL to Columbia. One guy sat on the luggage.)
    King Air (see above)
    Allegheny
    American
    Delta
    Northwest (Orient and non-Oriental)
    Aloha
    America West
    Southwest
    British
    Air France
    Aegean
    Most of the commuter versions of the trunk airlines above

Planes I've flown on:

Boeing:
    747-400
    (Dammit, missed the 720)

McDonnell Douglas:
    DC-8
    DC-9
    DC-10
    MD-80

Lockheed:
    Electra
    L-1011

Others:
    DeHavilland Twin Otter
    Beech 99
    King Air
    BAC 1-11
    BAe 143
    Fairchild F-28
    CRJ-200
    CRJ-700
    Saab 340
    Shorts 360

I tried to get on a Convair 880 flight back when TWA still flew them, but couldn't make it work. I also tried to book a Braniff flight way back when, but couldn't do it.

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I'm not even sure I can list all of them or even remember them all. But does anyone remember an airline called Air Atlanta or something like that? They were based in Hartsfield and had an amazing frequent flier lounge. They were very short-lived because they offered so many perks. My favorite airlines have been the European-based ones I've been on. Swissair and Alitalia. Also, Hawaiian Airlines is great.

11. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

It was Republic.

Ozark
    Texas International (I don't remember this one, but I assume I was on the same flight as Bubbler.)
    Republic
    American
    Continental
    United
    Delta
    Comair
    Northwest
    TWA
    US Air
    Vanguard

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I see it on Slappy's list and no one else's.

North Central was huge in the midwest in the 60s and 70s before buying up Southern and changing its name to Republic. I grew up in the flight pattern about 2 miles north of the airport and watched numerous North Central DC-9s and Convair 340s go right over my house.

Draft saved Draft deleted