1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Airlines I have flown

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You have never been to my airport. In case you were wondering.

2. doctorx

doctorx Member

I'm the only one that's flown Braniff? No wonder they're out of business.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Northwest Orient
    Northwest
    Republic
    Delta
    United
    Southwest
    Midway (original)
    British Airways
    American
    Spirit
    Air Canada
    North Central
    Alaska Air

4. taller hack

taller hack Member

Delta
    AirTran
    Northwest
    American
    Comair
    United
    Continental
    Eastern
    U.S. Airways

Damn, not nearly as many as I expected.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh God. I'm sure there's some carriers I don't even remember, but here goes ...

Ozark
    Texas International
    Continental
    Midway (Chicago-based version)
    American
    United
    Delta
    Northwest
    U.S. Air
    Vanguard
    Southwest
    Frontier (new)

I can't remember if our family flew Republic or Continental when we moved from Milwaukee to Indy in 1986. Both had a huge presence in Detroit, where we connected and it was several months before Republic was merged into Northwest. Might need a ruling from Z-Man on that one.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

As an adult:
    Continental
    Delta/Comair
    Southwest
    US Airways

As a child:
    Eastern
    and some other airlines I don't remember.
    only remember Eastern because I still have the plastic wings somewhere.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Should commuter airlines count? Nine times out of 10, they're just an off-shoot of a big carrier. I didn't count any of mine.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I was going to mention that, Bubs.

Most of the time, if you fly a regional jet that is flying the colors of a major airline, it's a separate airline. Republic, Midwest, Chataqua, Mesa, SkyWest, ASA, etc. Those are operated by those airlines for the major airlines.

And Webby, that may be the coolest site I've ever seen. I'm signing up now.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

Three that stand out:

Wardair: A defunct Canadian airline that was actually very nice, even in the back -- probably the best airline we ever had. Only airline I've flown that was named after the dude who owned it, Max Ward.

Nationair: A shitbox international charter, also defunct. We were oblvious, but turns out the cockpit window blew out on our descent into London.

VASP: The airline of Brazil, or at least it used to be. Grounded, thank God -- almost died on a flight between New York and Toronto when we went on a long, unexplained plunge. We were given buns for our troubles.

10. Jones

Jones Active Member

That's totally sweet.

I would love to have this for every flight I've ever taken, since I was a kid. I might be close to 1,000.

I'm going to start up my kids on this, so they have a complete record for their life.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My one recollection about flying People's Express, circa '85 or so: We were in the back of the plane from D.C. to Newark and they didn't get everyone processed by the time they landed. We were sitting in the back, still waiting to pay for the flight, as people in the front were getting off. To me, if they couldn't get collections done by the time you get to the gate, the flight shoulda been free. Like a pizza.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Continental never merged with NW... would have been Republic, which had a Milwaukee hub...

Draft saved Draft deleted