1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Air France flight disappears

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/02/world/europe/02plane.html?_r=1&hp

PARIS — Air France said Monday that it had lost contact with a passenger plane travelling from Rio de Janeiro to Paris. “We have received no news from flight AF 447,” said an Air France spokeswoman in Paris, Brigitte Barrand.

Reuters reported that there were 216 passengers and 12 crew members aboard the plane.

A Brazilian Air Force spokesman, quoted by The Associated Press, said that the plane disappeared over the Atlantic Ocean and a search is under way near the Brazilian island of Fernando de Noronha. The plane disappeared about 186 miles northeast of the coastal Brazilian city of Natal and near Fernando de Noronha, the spokesman said.

The plane had been scheduled to land at Paris’s Charles de Gaulle airport at 11:15 a.m. Paris time after a nonstop flight that left Rio 7 p.m. local time on Sunday.

“We are very worried,” said an aviation official in Paris interviewed by Agence France-Presse. “The plane disappeared from the screens several hours ago. It could be a transponder problem, but this kind of fault is very rare and the plane did not land when expected.”

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I just heard about this. It's not sounding good at all. In EST, the plane should have landed two hours ago, IIRC.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, vessels that large don't just disappear, not in this age ...

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No GPS signal?

I hope they are OK, obviously, but this is creepy if the GPS went dead.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

CNN is saying that the plane reported electrical problems before all contact was lost and that the plane experienced strong turbulence on the 11-hour trip.

EDIT: MSNBC reporting that it's likely that lightening struck the jet.

Not good.

6. Presumably, if there were an explosion, somebody somewhere would have picked up a radar signature, no?

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I don't imagine its 100% that an explosion happened, but rather a strong enough strike occurred to shortcircut the electrical components in the plane.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is there radar coverage offshore?

9. That's what I meant.
    No explosion pretty much means lightning, or a catastrophic structural failure.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

so what exactly happens when a plane is hit by lightning?

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Ah, gotcha! I didn't catch you on that.

Unfortunately, I think it's time to assume the worst for these 228 people.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

According to the fear of flying site I used last year, not much. If they were lying, I'm glad I didn't find out until now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted