1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Air Force

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The release below is from Air Force's official site. Does anyone have any more details on this? How is it that the Privacy Act prevents the coach from commenting on the recruits? How many kids across the country will sign a "Certificate of Intent" to AFA? What all is involved in the appointment process? How do you cover this if you're covering Air Force Academy? How do you cover this if you're covering a kid signing with AFA?

Air Force National Letter of Intent (NLI) signing day release

Feb. 4, 2009

Due to the Academy appointment process, names of recruited student-athletes will not be released until they arrive on campus this summer. Air Force coaches and administrators are not allowed to comment about recruits due to the Privacy Act, therefore head football coach Troy Calhoun is not available to discuss any specifics about recruits.

Many high school student-athletes will participate in signing days and appear to sign a National Letter of Intent (NLI) with the Air Force Academy, but they are actually signing a Certificate of Intent which is a non-binding agreement that signifies an athlete's commitment to follow through with the appointment process and allows them to participate in signing day for publicity purposes. The Academy is a non-scholarship institution and doesn't use the National Letter of Intent, as most civilian schools do.

"Our recruiting process was very thorough and comprehensive. We were very selective and pinpointed some key guys and spent a great deal of time with them. Leadership is the most vital thing we are looking for. We looked hard to find young people that we feel will become great leaders for our Air Force. We want to find guys that are going to fit in and excel here." - Air Force head football coach Troy Calhoun.
  2. partain

partain Member

Air Force recruits have to make it through a basic training of sorts at the academy in the weeks leading up to the start of the fall semester. If they can't complete that, then they aren't admitted. That's one of the main reasons their names aren't released on signing day.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

4. Point of Order

There was nothing there which suggested that the Privacy Act prevents Air Force coaches and administrators from commenting about recruits, but thanks for the link.
  5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

NCAA rules prohibit coaches from commenting on recruits who have not signed an NLI. Even though they don't offer athletic scholarships I think that applies to the academy coaches as well. That would mean they couldn't comment on any incoming athletes until they've actually been admitted to the academy.
  6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I'd go out on a limb and do stories stating :
    "So-and-So prep athlete said he'd attend Air Force Academy and it was backed-up by so-and-so's prep head coach. AFA recruits must complete basic training-type stuff before officially being declared as having signed ..."

Those stories should be easy enough, without a writer getting burned too many times.
    It should be common knowledge in that athlete's coverage area that he's getting attention from AFA.
  7. Point of Order

I agree with you regarding the NCAA rules; hence my confusion. The AFA press release specifically says "Air Force coaches and administrators are not allowed to comment about recruits due to the Privacy Act . . . ." and does not mention NCAA rules. I suppose it could simply be a sloppily written press release.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not that it seems to matter in this case, but service academy athletes don't sign letters of intent because they are all on full scholarship.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think Army and Navy have the same rule. They don't announce recruits either.
Draft saved Draft deleted