1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Air conditioning

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 6, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Since spring lasted about three hours here, It's been on a while... but I do ahve to admit when I'm home during the day, I tend to turn it off or set it higher iuntil Ms. Slappy gets home...

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Are you taking applications for roomies? You could drop that thermostat another few degrees and I'd never leave your place.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

the other factor for us with the central air is it's good for the allergies, which mrs. shockey has really been hit hard by this year. also, heat is really a bitch for me physically, so i need to keep the temp in the 68-70 range. i'm lucky that the electricity in our town is a bargain compared to the rest of the area.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Ha! Until September, but you'll then want to be as far from here as possible, or just wear good headphones. :D

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

What were those c2shures? Moddy, I'm looking your direction.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It's been in the mid-90s here, but we have refrained from turning on the AC. It doesn't bother me at night at all, but in the mornings the sun does shine right through my window and I wake up all sweaty. During the day I don't see the point, but I am cheap.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I haven't had it on today because temps barely broke70

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Do you people keep the AC running constantly?

When I control the thermostat, I'll keep the AC on low at about 71 constantly throughout the summer -- June until September. That way when it's 98, I'm not causing even more of a drain on the grid. And it means the unit runs consistently, no jerking on and off. I've been told that saves the window unit block from freezing up. And I do like sleeping with a blanket on the bed, so the AC helps in that way.

9. We have fans throughout the house and central air, so we can stay pretty cool.
    I try to run the AC as little as possible, but I also remind myself that part of the reason I even have a job is for comforts. I will not suffer through a hot night and have trouble sleeping because I want to save some money. It's not worth it.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

as i said before: my house stays at 71 all year long. mrs. petty tried arguing that fact one day citing money. that was the very same day mrs. petty was informed she could leave the thermostat on 71 or dust off her resume.

so yeah, pettyville has felt cold air blowing for about a month or so.

11. I have this dream that someday I'll have so much money that I can buy a warehouse-size AC unit for my house and make it 68 degrees year-round. I wouldn't care about the electric bill in this scenario.

Our AC has been on for two months now. I set it at 82 during the day. We drop it to 74 at night.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's June. It's Texas. Need I say more?

Draft saved Draft deleted