1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Air conditioning

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The thermostat in our house is reading 81 degrees right now. We're debating on whether to turn on the central air and shut the windows or trying to tough it out for one more night with the windows open and fans running.

Have you turned your AC on yet (at home, not in the car)?

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

um, yeah, for like a month. :eek: ??? 8)

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We've used the central air once in the past month when the cat seemed a little lethargic. But we like cold for sleeping, so we use a window unit every night and just AC our bedroom.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Mine is out tonight in the crappy apt. I crash in 3 or 4 nights a week.

It's about 85 inside and slightly cooler outside.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

for a while now .. turn it on. you'll sleep much better.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

We turned ours on about a week ago. I am the only one who sleeps downstairs,a nd since heat rises, we keep the air down lower than I would usually have it.

So it's June, and I have an electric blanket on my bed. :D

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

For about 2-3 days, the central air was on. Otherwise, it's been fairly nice without it. The last couple nights, didn't even need a fan since it was down to low 50s here.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Our upstairs apt was 86 degrees when we finally bought an A/C.

I'm sure my mother, who grew up on a farm and won't turn on the A/C at the 'rents house until it's 118,000 degrees--and even then only for a few minutes--would disapprove. But she'll get over it.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes, the AC has been on.

Of course, it's been hovering around 105 degrees the last few days. We've got a bit of a cold snap now, though - we're dipping below 100 for a couple of days.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I've used it sparingly so far, but I have a pretty small apt, so I don't need a lot of it. My apt has two really good features: a shower that would knock the rust off a bolt, and a ceiling fan in the bedroom. Ceiling fan gets a workout from May-Oct.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I keep my house between 68-70 all year around. I'll bitch about a high gas bill, but will pay almost anything to be cool in the summer. And with Mrs. Expendable due in September, I swear I could hang meat in my dining room.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Not yet, attic fan does a good job of pumping the heat out and the ceiling fans are working overtime.
    The sucky thing about where I live is that the unit isn't really large enough for the house and since it is built on a hill, I have a crawl space underneath the house about five feet high and the entire western side is exposed to the sun in the middle of the afternoon and on.
    So hot air gets trapped underneath the house and it rises, while the one side of the house gets molten. Even if the AC was running non-stop it wouldn't do much good.

Draft saved Draft deleted