1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Air America: Chapter 7

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The progressive station I listen to hasn't had much of an effect.

3-6 a.m. Bill Press -- Still on.

6-9 a.m. Stephanie Miller -- Still on.

9-noon Thom Hartmann -- Still on.

Noon-3 p.m. Ed Schultz -- Still on.

3-6 p.m. Randi Rhodes -- Still on.

6-9 p.m. Ron Reagan -- Still on.

9-midnight Mike Malloy -- Still on.

-----

Remind me what Air America was again?

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Part of the problem with Air America is that many (most) of the affiliates were on small-to-medium 2nd tier stations in their markets. (The New York City affiliate was based in LI) That means it has a small signal and in some cases had to fight with brokered shows (re: religious, money-based talk) for time.

An awful business plan in which big name entertainers: re Franken and Whoppi Goldberg (who maybe were entertaining on TV, could not do radio) were given shows before actual radio people--Lionel, Montel Williams and Ron Reagan.

I think it sucks that anyone in the media loses their job in this economy, but as Bob Cook pointed out, radio has been going down this road for a long time.

3. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

This is shocking. I thought Air America folded years ago.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So true.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Stroking the underemployed white male demographic to tumescence . . . it's ratings GOLD, Jerry, GOLD.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I doubt they fully recovered from the Supreme Court ruling.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Could it be that most folks who are not angry white males might rather listen to some tunes, humor or sports instead of some egotistical talking head "blah blah blah" all day about stuff with which they already agree?

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The advantage newspapers have at least is this, compared to radio -- my kids understand the concept of going somewhere to look for news.

What they don't get is the concept of listening to one station, playing a bunch of songs you probably don't like, interrupted with long periods of commercials. Plus, if you like a song, you can't just hit the button and play it again.

With each of my kids, there have been times I've had the radio on, and there's a song they like, and they ask me to play it again. I have had to give an explanation that sounds like I'm some crazy old street prophet:

"In a land far, far away, there is a man in a little room, playing prerecorded songs, which then MAGICALLY fly throoooo the air to a larrrrge tower, off which they bounce and spread to anyone who dials in the right code!"

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You're right Bob. My kids cannot relate to my playing an entire CD in the car. What, listen to the whole thing? I like THAT song!!

11. I'm sure lotion sales are up this week among righties....

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Man, after 21 hours of those people I'd be sticking sharp things into my ears hoping to go deaf.

Draft saved Draft deleted