1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ain't no party like a Terre Haute tractor pull party

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I had no idea there was a tractor pull event in Terre Haute every year called Scheid Diesel Fest that apparently is a great place to get drunk and naked.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120826/NEWS/120826011/178-ticketed-Scheid-Diesel-Fest-Terre-Haute?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com

Of the 178 tickets, 83 were for illegal possession or consumption of alcohol and 13 adults were cited for furnishing or providing alcohol to a minor. Excise police Cpl. Travis Thickstun said the majority of the tickets issued were alcohol related.

A 17-year-old girl was cited for illegal consumption, public nudity and public intoxication after officers observed her dancing topless on the roof of a bus in the parking lot of the Burlington Coat Factory in Terre Haute.

She was released to her mother.

Four other women were cited for public nudity after they exposed themselves while performing on poles in the back of pickup trucks in the same parking lot.

An 18-year-old woman was found severely intoxicated at the fairgrounds, and told officers she might be pregnant. She was taken to the hospital and faces a charge of illegal consumption of alcohol.

Along with the various alcohol charges, officers also responded to "numerous fights" throughout the weekend in the parking lot of the Burlington Coat Factory.

Apparently there were 252 tickets last year, but the reason for the decline is because of fewer cops, not because of better behavior.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Haute is a state of mind.

The Haute is also the home of the best Indiana tradition no one knows about ... The Walk.

Indiana State's football stadium is three miles away from campus on the east side of Terre Haute (it's Terre Haute's old converted Three-I League baseball stadium site).

Every year on Homecoming, ISU students, alums and Hauteans do The Walk. It starts in downtown Terre Haute and the idea is to walk to the game and have a beer or a drink at every bar between campus and the stadium on Wabash Avenue (old U.S. 40, old National Road). I think the most recent count is that there's 12-13 bars to hit on the way.

Even when ISU football was at its nation's worst nadir, The Walk guaranteed a huge street party in Terre Haute.

A large percentage of those who do The Walk never make it to the game. There are tents, etc., set up outside the stadium ... many pass out in them.

It's an underrated college gem, and considering that Indiana's more well-known schools have their big parties during the spring (Little 500, Grand Prix, etc.), I'm surprised it isn't more of a draw statewide.

That's OK. Another little hidden gem The Haute has to itself.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This is going on the bucket list.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Apparently the Burlington Coat Factory parking lot is a good place to get your ass kicked in Terre Haute.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Four other women were cited for public nudity after they exposed themselves while performing on poles in the back of pickup trucks in the same parking lot.

Are poles part of one of the option packages for the F-150 these days?

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I believe they come on the SX trim package.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

AKA trim trim.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Terre Haute skanks: Built Ford Tough.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The only time I saw someone puke in Terre Haute was when that Texas runner nearly booted on my shoes at the finish line of the NCAA cross country championship. Note to self after that: Don't stand near the damn chute at the end of a high level race.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Been there, done that. The chute at the NCAA's is like cattle going to the slaughterhouse.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Smoking Gun has details of the arrest of "Bottle Girl," star of "an X-rated viral video" taken after the close of the tractor pull, and the opening of, uh, something else.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/indiana-bottle-girl-charged-684512

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I watched the video, her parents must be so proud. Clearly not the first time she has, uh, interacted with a bottle.

"This is awesome!"

Draft saved Draft deleted