1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ainge needs Isiah like coverage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, May 23, 2007.

1. Mmac

Mmac Guest

That's bullshit, Thomas gets bashed because of a ridiculous succession of patently dumb moves, and because he's in New York. Chee, you seem like a pretty bright guy, but I don't know why you're so intent on trying to spin everything into a racism issue.

2. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Seeing KG's career in Minny, he's far from alone. Seeing Isiahs mentioned in the New Republic shows how far reaching the anti-Isiah coverage has mushroomed.

A very selective memory.

And lets get something straight, the term racism is something I rarely use because its serious in nature.

3. Isiah Thomas has been a primo POS since he left Indiana.
    He is a business incompetent who bankrupted a LEAGUE.
    Sorry, Danny's just a really bad GM.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Isiah was a POS coach in Indiana. That much talent and yet they did jack shit. He's been shitty at everything involving basketball except playing. I don't know why people keep hiring him.

5. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Let us not forget Isiah's brief interlude as an announcer, which gave us such gems as:

"That's Shaq's 'gangsta ball', where he just takes a basket."

"He's in a thang. When someone in my neighborhood got hot, we'd say 'He's in a thang'."

He once pronounced "Kukoc" as "Kuchoates"

6. IU90

IU90 Member

I loved Isiah as a player, but suggesting that he's been unfairly treated for his post-playing career is ludicrous. The guy's got the most phenomenal knack (outside of George W) for landed great jobs he's unqualified for, failing badly, yet then promptly landing a better gig anyways. Nobody falls upward like Isiah.

To recap Zeke's post playing career: He first becomes Toronto's GM despite having no front office experience. After overseeing a few horrible Raptor teams and becoming terribly unpopular in Toronto, he leaves to run the CBA. After a couple years under Isiah's guidance, a league which had been around for nearly 40 years went bankrupt and was forced to close its doors. No problem, Isiah's then offered the lead color job on NBC's NBA broadcasts despite having no broadcasting experience. After a year of getting roundly panned for being a terrible announcer, he becomes the head coach of an Indiana Pacer team that had just been in the NBA finals despite having no coaching experience. After three mediocre Pacer seasons (sandwiched between 2 outstanding seasons the year before and after Isiah's term) he is fired. Not to worry, for he is promptly named GM of the New York Knicks, franchise for the league's largest and most important market.

He then pulls off a dumbfounding string of moronic trades and signings looking for a quick fix in a manner indicating that he doesn't have the slightest clue how the league's salary cap rules work or how to clear space for future improvement. In essence, he takes the strategy of mortgaging the future to win now by bringing in a bunch of aging overpaid guys others were desperate to unload (also doesn't seem to realize that stocking half your roster with overpaid shoot first point guards who all play the same way is not great for team chemistry). So he doesn't even accomplish the win now part, but he does manage an exceedingly rare double play by putting together a team with both the highest payroll and worst record. And, to top off this masterpiece, he gets the franchise in legal trouble as the focus of a sexual harassment lawsuit. I realize things weren't as bad this year (and he's had a couple nice draft picks) but those 1st 3 years are legendary bad GM lore.

But, if his career pattern holds true, he's well situated to replace David Stern right after the Knicks fire him.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Hello . . . He didn't buy the Durant's mother tickets to that game, and God forbid if he buys tickets and ends up in a seat near her. Do you go to games and totally ignore the people sitting around you? Come on now don't be stupid!

8. Mmac

Mmac Guest

I caught that too, RedSmith, love how Chee spun sitting next to and talking to Durant's mom once into "tampering constantly".

Draft saved Draft deleted