1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AIM and you: What's your progression?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mike311gd, May 3, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Who needs aim when everyone has unlimited texting?

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

We use it at work to talk with other online folks in McClatchy. I use Meebo.com to log in to AIM and Google Talk at the same time.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Let me hear your Google Talk, your Google talk.[/olivianewtonjohn]

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'm there too. I don't even have my IM program running right now and when I do it's on "invisible." Hell, the only person I see on AIM regularly anymore is IJAG (and I'm sure I'm not the only one :D ).

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Doc-blocking. Damn.

;D

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I hate the invisible function. While it's effective in serving its purpose, it breeds dishonesty. Too many times in college -- when the function was introduced -- people would tell me, "OK, I've got to go study. I'll talk to you later." Then they'd go invisible. And they were foolish enough to think I had better things to do than search for their profile information when they were "signed off."

Fools.

Being a jilted ex-boyfriend does have its benefits, too.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm 35 years old and the only time i ever IMed was a couple years ago during our fantasy baseball draft before the draft boards on yahoo got the messaging function.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've had one of my friends IM me and go invisible because he didn't want to deal with one of the people on his buddy list. Then I couldn't type to him or anything. He'd wonder what was going on. I'd get frustrated and not know what's happening.

Then I figured it out weeks later: Turns out that when I use iChat, I can't type an IM to someone who goes in as invisible.

So, long story short: If you want to talk to me on AIM and you go invisible, no can do because I use iChat.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't like the function that keeps the away message visible when you're not "away," either. I've got two friends who do that, and every couple minutes, I get their away messages on my screen. They never think about my feelings.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I do that sometimes, actually. It's a good tool when I use it to let people know I'm not in a good mood or I'm only on to speak to one specific person.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

1,300 away messages?

Dude.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

They just piled up after four years -- song lyrics, quotes from friends, movies and songs. If you haven't figured it out, I sometimes do things in excess.

Draft saved Draft deleted