1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AIM and you: What's your progression?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mike311gd, May 3, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You never message me on AIM, Mikey. :(

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm on quite a bit. I'll talk to friends also at work, slacking off, or to people I haven't heard from in awhile. Facebook, and messaging (both mail and instant) on it, has decreased aim usage somewhat.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Shhhhh!

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I guess I'm old, or something. I still use AIM all the time.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I have AIM, I have MSN, I have Yahoo. I'm sure I still have an ICQ number, but I haven't even installed that program (if it's even still around) on my last two computers.

All three programs start when I start my computer, but it's very rare that anyone IMs me on AIM and only one friend IMs me on MSN once in a while. Yahoo gets the most usage, but even then, that's either my mom or my kids who think its funny to IM Mom in the next room.

I never receive text messages either. Guess no one wants to talk to me. ;)

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I think it's normal, as time goes on, to care less and less about the masses.

In high school, I had 250 people I talked to on a regular basis. Family, friends, coworkers, classmates, teammates.
    In college, I had 150 people I talked to on a regular basis. Family, friends, coworkers, classmates, t
    Now, I have 50 people I talk to on a regular basis. Family, friends, coworkers.
    I care more about the people I truly care about, and less about the people I didn't really care about.

I think it's totally normal, dude.

7. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I met my wife with it. First and only time we communicated with it. Just a five minutes chat.

Now, I use to talk to a couple of friends and some family.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

If my kids are grounded, I guarantee you they have no access to the computer.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm on AIM pretty much if I'm online. It's usually background. BYH is the only person I really start convos with regularly on there, but he starts them with me as well.

Now i feel bad for ever writing Mikey on there. :(

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I vote for "or something." :)

I stopped running AIM because I found it eating huge amounts of my time with what amounted to idle chit-chat. If I want to just bullshit with someone, it's a lot more time-efficient to call them.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Never used any IM service before last October. Have only used it to talk to one person.

And all it did was, well, change my life.

Draft saved Draft deleted