1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AIDS cure?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

He definitely never made it over to the politics board. That's for sure.

2. I know what the term means.

But the majority of AIDS patients did not contract the condition from sexual intercourse. Remember Ryan White? He was only one of 10,000 hemophilia patients who died because the blood they injected themselves with in order to maintain a normal life.

And you know where that tainted blood ended up? One place was Iraq.

I think of the numerous children I know with HIV/AIDS that contracted the illness from their mother. One kid I know wasn't told that he had HIV, even though he was taking the cocktail. How did he find out? He was at camp and his buddy was taking the same exact pills. He asked his friend what he had---to which he replied "HIV." That's how he found out. I don't think he could have helped himself by putting on a Trojan, eh?

There are some things you just don't joke about and HIV/AIDS is one of them. I don't understand how some members of the board can go on certain threads, i.e., the one involving kleeda's brave and wonderful son, and exemplify the best of humanity, but come on this one and make terrible, insensitive jokes. It makes me sad.

3. Welcome to boom's world.

4. I wish it were just Boom's world, but it's not. It's our world, too, because we're exposed to it.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

"Among adults, HIV is spread most commonly during sexual intercourse with an infected partner." So says the National Institutes of Health.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Needle use is a biggie as well.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Just stick around ...

8. Then I should have clarified what I said. Sexual intercourse is the single most common cause of HIV/AIDS. But there are many other causes---for instance, approx. one-third of all cases originate from the sharing of drug needles. As such, the other causes combined produce the majority of HIV/AIDS when compared to sexual intercourse alone.

But I don't understand how the fuck that small clarification changes my objection to Boom's comment. Maybe it's just because certain board veterans always feel the need to defend each other from newbies, for whatever reason.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Genco, I'm not defending Boom. He's a big boy, doesn't need it. Still, this is a place to wear your thick skin. If that's all it takes to offend you -- and I say this with sincere compassion -- you might want to find somewhere else to hang out. Because no small number of people on there enjoy this place for its irreverence, which seems unlikely to change.

OK, enough with the tangent. This seems at once to be both a fantastic coincidence and kind of a no-brainer. I mean, it took a person with both AIDS and leukemia to come up with it. I don't know how rare that is, but they're both blood-borne diseases. I'm sort of wondering why it's taken three decades to make the connection, because leukemia has been treated with marrow transplants, apparently effectively, for a long time.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Olive Oil is kind of an ironic handle in this discussion.

Are you suggesting that condums do not work as a preventive measure for AIDS?

You must be catholic.

Draft saved Draft deleted