1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AI is Talking Bout Broke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ewing, Smith and Mourning all have degrees.

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

None of those three straight up murdered their bodies playing the way AI did his. Apples, oranges.

Whose fault would have have been, then? Waaah, the face of this franchise doesn't destroy himself practicing, so I'm going to suck in the games that actually matter?

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It would have been those guys' fault -- and AI's fault, too.

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

AI not killing himself in practice gave his team a better chance to win games. Because his style of play necessitated it on the court.

Not his fault. He couldn't will himself to grow taller.

5. jr/shotglass

And I simply don't believe that's why he didn't kill himself in practice.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'd say Bird did. I think Bird and AI sustained more vicious collisions with the floor than any superstars I can remember. Of course with Bird the effects showed more--after his 8th or 9th season his body was a hobbled broken down mess for the remainder of his career, whereas with AI it was amazing the way he always seemed to bounce right back up and keep flying around like nothing happened.

7. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

"Yeah!"

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wasn't the point not that Iverson didn't kill himself in practice, but that he didn't even go to practice? The physical aspect of team practice is way overrated in basketball, but it'd be pretty hard to tweak an offense or a game plan if the guy with the ball most of the time doesn't know what the changes are.

AreaMan -- post more. That avatar kills me every time.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Are you this big a racist in real life or do you just play one on message boards?

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

AI didn't always make the best decisions or say the right things and he obviously could have used some help from Morgan Stanley - but anyone who questions the guy heart or how hard he played the game every night is just plain ridiculous.

The guy left it all on the floor every single game he ever played.

And most years he played on a team where a bad shot from him had far better chance than a good shot from anyone else of going in. The Sixers only prayer of winning was AI jacking shots.

He's obviously a dope who blew more money than most of us will ever dream about and for that I don't feel sorry at all for him.

But I always respected the way he played and wished a whole lot of other guys in that league would have played with his passion and energy every night/

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I say this knowing the potential for opening the racial trap door. But we are wondering how he blew through so much money -- $150M in basketball earnings has to mean $200M or more when endorsements are included, so even after taxes it's a nine-figure sum.

Considering that, and as one example of where the money can go: How much do you think he spent on tattoos? As I understand it, those things are considered artwork when they're that elaborate, and often with the price tags to match.

So ... $50,000? $100,000? Or am I way overestimating it?

12. jr/shotglass

Is it OK if he included Nate Lubick in that? ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted