1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AI is Talking Bout Broke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's a lot of money indeed

http://articles.philly.com/2012-02-12/sports/31052452_1_pat-croce-poster-child-76ers

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Who could have ever seen this one coming?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Shocked, I tell you.

[​IMG]

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

He should've practiced.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He traveled with a hair stylist?

And, I know he was a pain in the ass, but was the extant of his posse reported on during his playing days? I honestly don't know.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I believe it was detailed in deeper pieces, YF. Not so much in day-to-day coverage. But it would have been cool ...

"Iverson, who had a hair stylist, 13 bodyguards, a chef and a personal jeweler seated in the first row behind the 76ers bench, scored 13 of his 41 points in the third quarter."

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Tattoos aren't cheap.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I remember SI did a big story on posses one time -- it was pretty damn entertaining, they keyed it off Shane Battier, whose "posse" was a 50-year-old woman who did his scheduling. Anyway, one of the anecdotes in there was the supposedly epic brawl between Iverson's and Stackhouse's posses when they were both in Philly. I think there was real fear in NBA circles at that time that people were going to end up dead as a result.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Jocks finding themselves suddenly rich should follow the example of Billy Ray Valentine:

Throw a huge blowout party at your mansion. Invite all your old homies from the hood.

As soon as they start putting out Kools on your Persian rugs, announce at the top of your lungs,

GET ... THE FUCK ... OUT.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Larry Brown is laughing uncontrollably right now, and doesn't know why.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Still remember the quote from Rashard Mendenhall's mom a couple days before he was drafted by the Steelers. The quote was regarding "relatives" looking for handout. This isn't verbatim but it's pretty close:

"Don't call looking for money. If you were driving a broke-ass car last week you'll still be driving a broke-ass car next week."

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He can get every shit he's ever had together, he ain't making a million bucks for the rest of his life.

Draft saved Draft deleted