1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AI, Grizzlies part ways

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

On which account?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. mb

mb Active Member

So, unless I've got this wrong ...

Iverson spends the entire offseason trying to find somebody ... ANYBODY ... to pay him and play him. And when pretty much everybody tells him to piss up a rope, he signs with Memphis. And after 3 games he's gone?

Did I miss something, or are there suddenly a bunch of teams willing to pay him what he wants, play him how much he wants AND put up with his shit?

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

He's a HOFer no matter what he does on the court from here on out.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

What teams? Shitty teams that won't mind one dude jacking up 30 shots as the path to the lottery is paved? He isn't taking any team deep into the playoffs and he won't stand for being being the 3rd option.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Knicks-- they need the buzz that Iverson will bring. Givem him a one year contact and let him hoist em up from all over the Garden.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

AI's problem is AI. If he wants to continue to play in the NBA, he has to conform. When his game was on the upswing, people would take his belligerent attitude as no big deal. Now, he's an old timer. There are plenty of kids who can do what he does without causing a media circus. And at a cheaper price too.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He's probably in, but had he finished his career in even remotely positive terms, it would have been unanimous and automatic -- he would have been an instant first-ballot selection. Now, I can see a lot of voters, especially the TMASW brigade, taking the attitude that AI "exemplifies everything wrong with the NBA, etc etc," and making him wait a while.

On the other hand, if he takes my advice, signs with one of the league powers, shuts his mouth and behaves and rides the coattails of Kobe, LeBron or Garnett to a ring, he'll be elevated to all-time legend status.

Right now, he's kind of in the Dominique Wilkins/Bob McAdoo classification.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

McAdoo has a title with the Lakers

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

unfortunately, that was my first thought, too.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the player's union will have something to say about that.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't get this viewpoint. The Knicks before D'Antoi were all about buzz, whether it was trading for McDyess or Marbury or Eddie Curry, or signing Allan Houston to that absolutely insane contract. In hindsight, almost all of those decisions were bad at the time and worse several years removed. If anything, they should be consciously trying to avoid signing a player to create a "buzz" in MSG, given their past history with that.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If its a one year contract that does not hurt the cap why not? People will still pay to see AI over Chris Duhon.

Draft saved Draft deleted