1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AI, Grizzlies part ways

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

They ditched Marbury primarily because he was a huge piece of the whole Isiah Thomas era. Iverson, obviously, isn't, and I do believe Iverson is better than Marbury, then, now and forever and always.

Marbury seems like a huge attention whore. Iverson is just flat-out selfish.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Oh, I definitely agree that Iverson had the better career. However, at this point in his career, Iverson to New York would be as bad of an idea as Marbury to New York was, or Francis to New York. If he wasn't happy with the Grizzlies, why would he want to play for the 1-9 Knicks? I suppose he might be happy that he'd be getting minutes, since I'm presuming he could beat out Larry Hughes for his minutes, but I don't think the Knicks are making the playoffs this year with Iverson.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

They weren't making the playoffs without him, so they really have nothing to lose.

I do, however, wish Iverson would just go away. Far, far away.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

With Josh Howard on the shelf indefinitely ... AI will be a Maverick before Christmas. Book it.

The DFW sports scene is chock full of head cases by reputation who were model citizens here: Milton Bradley, Carl Everett, and hell, the Cowboys were infested with them for three of four Super Bowl years. They even sold star-spiking T.O. to the pliable, tractable Dallas fan for a couple of years.

(Yeah, I know, Dennis Rodman and Sean Avery were whiffs, but look at the average.)

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

AI can still play. It's just a matter of putting up with his bullshit.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If I'm going to keep watching the Knicks all winter, I'd rather watch them with A.I. on the court. The Knicks have absolutely nothing to lose unless you think cutting into the playing time of Nate Robinson and Chris Duhon will delay their rise to superstardom.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I didn't understand that trade at the time and now it's even more perplexing.

8. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

not sure signing iverson was entirely wallace's call.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A.I.'s only usefulness at this point would be to go to a real good team with a dominant superstar, for the veteran minimum, where he will be told going in he will play 10-12 minutes per game, no more, and his only role will be to come in and score like a motherfucker for those 10 minutes.

Oh yeah, the coach reserves virtually unlimited latitude to bench or suspend him at any moment at his compete discretion, with AI explicitly waiving any right to appeal or protest such suspension.

If he accepted those terms, which would probably narrow the field to Boston, Cleveland or the Lakers, he could finish up with a ring.

If he signs anywhere else under more conventional conditions, he could fuck up his career legacy to the point where the HOF could be in jeopardy if it ends badly enough.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If he will take the role of Vinnie Johnson and come off the bench and be explosive for 15-18 minutes a game, sure. Otherwise he is a detriment to any offense. Controls the ball too much and a volume shooter who doesn't get anyone else involved. AI needs to realize he ain't the man.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Disagree. He can still be the man on certain teams.
    AI is a Hall of Famer but his legacy is tarnished by this abrupt ending.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted