1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AI: Artificial Intelligence

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 21, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Watched most of it tonight on TNT.

One of those movies I went to see at the theater when it came out and it's stuck with me.

I know it would have been a very different kind of story if Kubrick had gotten to do it instead of Spielberg, but I think even he felt the need to throw in some Kubrick touches here and there.

I know there's a thread of Pinocchio in there, the movie makes that ham-handedly clear near the end, but it occurs to me that it's also seems to be a sort of Oedipal shaggy dog story ... the little boy who finally gets to sleep with his mother.

Thoughts from others not preoccuped with reading Harry Potter tonight?

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Also re-watching it right now for the first time in years.

Interminably long, had some very interesting elements, and some very good ideas. After the flooded NY climax with William Hurt, it should have ended (mercifully) with him praying to the Blue Fairy, his quest thus having both failed and succeeded. But instead Spielberg had to tack on a pretty , tie-it-up-with-a-nice-bow ending, in which the mother is a lot nicer to him than ever, and never asks about her family. Like they just created a perfect, happy mommy for him. I understand Kubrick had a similar ending in mind, but its flaws are clear in the fact a narrator shows up out of nowhere and explains to us everything that is happening.

And if I'm not mistaken, Mr. Osment has done very little since. At times his performance was every bit as bad as Jake Lloyd in The Phantom Menace. Except Osment was over the top.

Sorry. Just had high expectations for this movie, and feel that it missed the mark.

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

that's how i felt the first couple of times i watched AI. but then i started to think- is that happy ending really happy?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had forgotten about that movie probably because it was so dreadful to watch in the theaters...

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dreadful and uncomfortable.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Vot your back on that one.. only saw it once and its been forever, but I seem to remember once scene about water or ice that took f-o-r-e-v-e-r..

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That movie just flat-out sucked...

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

The movie had ethical and moral levels to it, and was an interesting commentary on cloning, discrimination and family values. As far as the ending goes, I explained it to the future Mr. Cougs as "a very sad movie."

The story, however, would make a very good book.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Watched it for the first time in a couple years when it was on last weekend. Never saw it in the theaters, but I thought it was a good movie.

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I liked the movie a lot. The bit at the end with David spending the perfect day with his Mommy turned me into a blubbering mess.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Though the question that lingers (among several) is -- was that a happy ending?

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I've seen it once and found it, I don't know, offputting. I had more sympathy for the robots than I did for any of the human characters.

Draft saved Draft deleted