1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AHSAA: Sundays not for football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by joe_ps, May 14, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Or the fact that Muslim students have to play football during the month of Ramadan. That's right. Practicing without any water. Man, this is giving me some bad memories. :D

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The UIL in Texas also has a Sunday-free policy.

Section 900 (b) of the UIL constitution.

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/policy/constitution/academics/06_07sec900_902.pdf

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So... its a day of worship... One of the boys basketball state champs was without three players for the finals because they are Seventh-Day Adventists and their class finals occured during the time they couldn't play due to their faith... but that's OK?
    Most Jewish services take place between Friday and Saturday night, but missing them is OK?

Bull-fucking-shit. It's OK to Washburn because this is Ahbamma and only whut the Southern Baptists want matters.
    His excuse was poor, just as yours is. It's OK because its the day for mainstream Christianity? It was poor reasoning.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

JESUS LOOKS PISSED!

Seriously though ... I'll echo the idea that this guy chopped his own league with the reason he offered.
    In Illinois, there aren't many Sunday games, but occasionally (once, maybe twice during basketball season) you'll see a game or two played on Sunday.
    I don't know that I like the blanket "No Sunday games," but the state associations also need to enforce a mandatory rest day if Sunday's aren't automatically that day.

5. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

The game is not in Alabama, so what can they really do to stop Hoover? Make them forfeit? They're going to lose anyway.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Out of state games need AHSAA approval

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Remove them from the state association for not playing by the AHSAA's rules.

Edit: I guess it's not a rule right now, but ...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, they could declare them ineligible for the state playoffs, which would really grind Rush Propst's ass

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am all for no high school sports on a Sunday. Doesn't have to be for worship. Could be a day to catch up on homework or whatever. Just write in in the rulebook.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Absoflippinlutely

11. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Sunday is a day of worship in Ohio too, I would think. And I would think there are places an Alabama team could worship on a Sunday in Cincinnati.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Seems like Tennessee, maybe Georgia, had a private school that didn't play on Fridays.
    The school was one of the religions that forbid activities on Friday, but they played sports and all the games were either on Thursday and Saturday for football.
    And during the week or on Saturday for basketball.
    Seems like they didn't participate in the playoffs for football since the state association wouldn't bend on playoff games and for basketball they did play in the tournament, but the scheduled was fixed to let them not play on Friday.
    If I remember, they went to the state hoops tournament, won unexpectedly, to advance to a Friday game and then either forfeited or the state association did something funky.
    I can't recall.

Draft saved Draft deleted