1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AHL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Re: Proof That SportsJournalists.com Will Never Agree on Anything

Mr. friendly half miler would have a better handle on that. I'd be interested in hearing what he thinks. I do know some fans of hs hockey don't like the top talent going to Michigan. They want the kids to stay home and play.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with watching AHL hockey, Boom. Nothing wrong with watching hockey, period.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, Central Scouting has two players in the development program ranked in the top 20 for this year's draft.

http://cdn.nhl.com/futures/cssrankings/na_skater0107.pdf

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Some good USA HS programs have fallen on hard times because their elite players are spending their last 2 years in prep school. From there many move on to a program such as USHL which is a tier 1 junior program. From there into top D1 college program.

When I see kids playing D1 hockey now I always do a quick calculation of how much their parents must have spent on getting them to that point. Hockey in US now is not a game learned on the pond.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

In Minnesota, Boom, it isn't so much the prep schools as MN HS kids going direct to the USHL for their junior and/or senior years.

The fairly low cap on games played (about 24) that the MSHL puts on the hockey teams has been blamed for this.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

At the old Hersheypark Arena, our company seats were bottom two rows, directly behind one goal. They were shooting slap shots into your lap. I absolutely loved it.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Word is out at most rinks that if you want your kid to play D-1 you better get him out of HS program and into prep school/ USHL .

If Baskeball ever had the development system that hockey has created it be vastly improved.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And it works out for the best kids -- like those good enough to go the Shattuck, or to the NDTP in Ann Arbor, or even to the USHL.

But the parasitic level of pay-to-play "AAA" teams out there that milk parents for their coin with the promise of a career for a kid who would have a hard time making a good HS team is truly sickening.

And then there are the overbearing parents. Egads.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think it's because of the great outlet shopping in Lancaster.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Even better ... they have 'em two blocks away from Giant Center now, too!

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

That topic is a whole different animal within itself.

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Kids that get invited to the NTDP are elite, like Erik Johnson. The rest are a level below that, although still very good. A board favorite went to Shattuck. Ok, maybe not a favorite of some.

Not all AAA teams are like the ones you described. I don't doubt they are out there, but my experience has been quite different. Guess it depends on who is running the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted