1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AHL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Re: AHL Hockey

Give me the top row of the lower bowl in a corner. Above the boards, yet close enough you can hear 'em on the ice.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Major junior (CHL which is made up of Quebec Major, Ontario Hockey League & Western Hockey League) is the biggest developmental league that provides the NHL with the majority of its players. I'm not sure what the percentage is --Double J, Huggy or FoF probably know.

It's a big step up from high school hockey.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Best place to watch a game from. That's where you'll find scouts and GM's.

Down low is the worst place to watch a game from but ironically, they're the most expensive seats.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I second that, and I'll go a step further: I don't think there's a bad seat at any hockey game (obstructed-view excepted).

It's just as fun an experience to watch the play unfold from the upper deck as it is to bang on the glass from below. They're totally different ways to watch a game -- and both must be experienced to be enjoyed.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Depends - a 10 or 12 year old would rather be on the glass and not about scout angle .

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

When I was 12, I was just happy if we got to go to a game. Never much understood the fascination with glass seats, and can't remember ever asking my dad if we could get tickets down there. He liked the upper deck, so I learned to, as well.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Took my little brother to an ECHL game once when he was 5. Went for the glass level seats. Walked away with two pucks that night.

Otherwise, I've never been ice level. Sacrificed the better seats for "better seats."

8. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I go to games with kids and they want to be close to the ice. If it was up to me I would sit elsewhere, but the kids like it, and that's more important to me.

JR,

I think that Kid in Pittsburgh spent a year playing high school hockey south of the border. ;) To be fair, that program isn't typical of high school hockey, and it was understood it was a one year thing. I don't think anyone would equate high school hockey with major Junior. That said, high school hockey is fun to watch.

The US National Team Development Program is where elite players like Erik Johnson go. You can find schedules for the teams at www.usahockey.com. They're based in Michigan but travel.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Re: Proof That SportsJournalists.com Will Never Agree on Anything

Wasn't comparing high school hockey to juniors, I know better. I was simply trying to compare talent levels.

The best young basketball players will find their way to schools like Oak Hill. Just as top young hockey players will play in the OHL and similar leagues.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

High school hockey among the elite schools in the Northeast -- Catholic Memorial, Mount St. Charles -- and Minnesota is very good. A rung below A juniors, probably.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right and sitting down there is great--you get a real sense of the speed of the game and the size of the guys. Just wouldn't want to do it every game.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That programme probably accounts for the increasing number of U.S born players going high in the draft.

Draft saved Draft deleted