1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AHL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 11, 2007.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Re: AHL Hockey

The IHL was very hit and miss. It had a good run, then (as one GM told me) became no better than a house league, then got reinvigorated some when they started hooking up with NHL teams. On its best days, it was exciting hockey. On its worst, oh, it was bad, slow, sloppy, chippy, etc.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

You don't know much about how hockey's feeder system works, do you?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am shocked that this thread has turned so "chippy" ::) In this day and age where cost of going to pro sports event has reached a point where its reasonable to question the product that you are getting for your money, I just was pleasantly surprised by the value of going to AHL game.

I was also surprised by quality of play and overall skating ability of players. I took my 2 nephews- for 3 seats on blue line 5 rows from glass I spent $60 ( $20 per seat) Another $40 - $50 bucks for food/ drink. To do the same at NHL game would have cost close to a grand with a lot more hassle.

Overall quality of play to go with 2 ice cold Labatts really opened my eyes.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I wish we had an AHL team or a major Division I program around here. I miss that caliber of play.

5. Re: AHL Hockey

Boom makes an interesting point. I'll flip that around: I just wonder how many people don't go to NHL games because they think they're "too expensive" -- or, maybe more accurately, don't give the ticket-buyer enough bang for the buck. Is it because fans just aren't sophisticated enough to tell the difference between, say, the AHL and NHL? I'm just asking.

Just as an example: The Nets out-draw the Devils. Why is that? I've been to both teams' games. To me, a hockey game (even the way the Devils play) is much more exciting than a basketball game. The Devils are one of the elite teams in their sport; the Nets aren't. Nets tickets are more expensive -- $80 compared to about $50 for a seat in the middle of the upper deck. I think the same suburban white-bread "clientele" go to both games.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Is the Macan Whoopee still around?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's cooler to go to a Nets game. Besides, you might run into Jay-Z.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

One of my son's
    What the hell is SWAC?

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

SouthWest Athletic Conference, a low-level division I college conference.

It's a horrible analogy. Realistically, major juniors are probably more on par with prep powers, such as Oak Hill Academy.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Boom.

This summer, go to a Brooklyn Cyclones or Staten Island Yankees game, too.

Ah, the American Hockey League:
    Buffalo Bisons
    Cleveland Barons
    Pittsbsurgh Hornets
    Quebec Aces
    Hershey Bears
    Springfield Indians
    Providence Reds
    Rochester Americans

Now that was a quality league. Bily Dea in Buffalo, the Glovers in Cleveland, Eddie Shore in Springfield, Alan Caron in Quebec, Marcel P., the goalie in Providence ... they could play in that league.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Proof That SportsJournalists.com Membership Will Never Agree On Anything

If you sit in upper deck for hockey you can barely see the game. Lower level will set you back $100 bucks per seat 25 rows back. At AHL you can take kids and put them on the glass for $20 - $25 bucks.

Nets - mid week vs say the Celtics in current state - watching paint dry is more exciting

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I actually like watching hockey from higher up. The boards tend to block the action for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted