1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AHL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 11, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Re: AHL Hockey

They just don't like the prospect of playing for the Crapitals.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I get the gist of your funny, but this was the case when the option was the Flyers, and later the Avs.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

AHL team closest to NYC - Bridgeport, Conn. Also, Hartford and Albany are in driving distance.
    (don't mean to steal your thunder, Boom)

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

thanks cougargirl. i'm way too lazy to look it up myself.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Love, love, love minor league hockey. Even more so than minor league baseball, which is akin to sacrilege to me. Hockey is more well-suited to live action than any other sport -- and while the "action" in minor league hockey may be of a lower quality than the NHL, the "live" part of the equation is always top-notch. I've never taken somebody to a minor league hockey game and they've not come away completely enthused about the experience.

And with all the praise for the AHL here, I have to throw out some love for the ECHL, as well. A few of the older arenas suck donkey balls (yes, I'm looking at you, Pee Dee), but most of them are very fun to watch a game in. And cheeeeap. Gotta love it.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm going to throw my two cents worth in. I've been to a couple of AHL games but quite frankly I'd rather go see major junior hockey than the AHL.

First reason is major junior is where you'll see the future NHL Stars: Crosby, the Staals, Rick Nash, Wojtek Wolski and in about four years the Next One, John Tavares. The big stars in junior go directly to the NHL from their junior team and you get to see them as 16, 17, and 18 year olds.

Major junior is more entertaining because the kids make more mistakes creating more turnovers, more odd man rushes.

Watching an AHL game is like watching a bunch of NHL 3rd and 4th liners.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

jr jr the hockey czar.........

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Leo - I saw game at Bridgeport - Soundtigers ( Islanders) vs Lowell ( Devils)

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know not everyone can see major junior.

Problem with AHL hockey here in Toronto is that Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment have no clue how to market minor league hockey. The ticket prices are absurdly high and not surprisingly, they're almost last in attendance in the AHL.

Further proof that Toronto isn't really a hockey town, it's a Leafs town.

So, Boom, how much did you pay for tickets?

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Travelled to Hershey for the Calder Cup finals one year -- one of the neatest experiences ever. The old Hersheypark Arena was a great spot, had a tour and a fascinating conversation with the late Frank Mathers, one of the nicest guys in sports you'll ever meet; and you could go into the lounge there between periods and get a first class snack and talk to Ed Snider or Jay Snider or whatever Flyer legend happened to be up that night.
    Love Chocolatetown!

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I arrived in San Diego just as the Gulls were getting started in the International Hockey League. I enjoyed it immensely. The IHL wasn't quite like the AHL in that not all teams were NHL affiliates, which gave a lot of teams (Gulls included) a lot more flexibility to get players, and the level of play, while not NHL quality, was top notch.

In fact, I think their second year, the Gulls were able to sign Sean Burke for the stretch run when he couldn't get a contract done with the Whalers. Also, the Las Vegas team in the league was able to get Radek Bonk for a year before he entered the NHL.

Anyway, great fun going to the arena and seeing it live, and at decent prices too. Of course, after five years, the Gulls' owner moved the team to L.A. (a near-fatal miscalculation on his part). Fortunately, a bunch of guys formed the West Coast Hockey League (which eventually merged into the current ECHL) and while the quality of play was a bit lower, but it was still fun to watch. Still miss those days going to the Sports Arena and seeing a game.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

As often as I used to go into the lounge between periods, I swear Bobby Clarke was in there as often as not.

Draft saved Draft deleted