1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ahhhh, how touching: another "troubled athlete-mentoring-the-youth" story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080323/SPORTS/803230337

Schlichter, of course, was FIRST suspended by the NFL for gambling in 1983, then was later banned from Arena Football and jailed for numerous other gambling charges in the 1990s, continuing his gambling activities until 2004 (according to him).

Most of the stories during his Arena Football career centered around his "inspiring comeback" from gambling.

But he's all straightened out now, you betcha. ::) ::)

So let's put him to work mentoring the youth. ::) ::) ::)

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

In defense of the concept, not the athlete, who better to mentor the youth than someone who's been there and done that. I wouldn't want a virgin priest to talk to me about the evils of pre-marital sex.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

bet he fucks up...

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because the more and more of this shit they see, the more the youth get the idea that it's OK to go there and do that -- all you have to do is say 'i'm sorry' and everything is forgiven.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Eh...I see the point you're trying to make, but I don't agree with it. How do we distinguish between those who are making a real effort at contrition, and those who aren't? I'm willing to give a bit of the old benefit of the doubt.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm always willing to give someone a secondy second chance.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think Art did a little more than say he's sorry.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is no benefit of the doubt in the absolute world in which Starman lives.
    There are no second chances, only Starman absolute justice.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have zero problem with Schlichter speaking. I applaud it. Gambling is one of those very subtle (at least at first) things that can be devastating and only explained by someone who's been there. It's not like MADD, which can drop a totaled car in the high school parking lot.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'm only 25, so I still remember some of those programs I went through as a kid (i.e. drug prevention, health ed, etc. etc.). The most effective presentations almost always involved someone who had successfully rehabbed from past problems. Their firsthand knowledge was always more convincing than anything an educator could say. Why we would want to deny that sort of information to our children is beyond me.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Art's far beyond his second chance.

I'd imagine this one will end like the rest. Badly.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Wanna bet?

Draft saved Draft deleted