1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ah, Serena...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, May 4, 2009.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that if Dinara Safina were to grace us with her presence on this board, she wouldn't even rank in the top five among People In This Discussion Who Are Outraged That Dinara Safina's Status Has Been Impugned. The checks cash the same, don't they?

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, actually, it is different. Tennis rankings are compiled by a ratings system that awards points based on performances over a 12-month period, giving more weight to the elite tournaments but still taking in the tour as a whole. There's some actual science to it. It's not like the WTA officials just said one day, sitting around the board room, "Hey! I know! Let's give Dinara Safina the No. 1 ranking this week!"

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Folks, I'll say it again: It's not the sentiment behind what she's saying, it's how she said it:

"We all know who the real number one is. Quite frankly, I'm the best in the world."

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, maybe it's because they haven't won enough (to justify their egos) and they don't care for the game.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And by that twisted logic Shaq is still a better player than Lebron because he's got 4 rings and Lebron 0.

The rankings are meant to measure who is currently playing better, not overall career accomplishments. Tournaments won years ago have absolutely no relevance to the question of who's the better player in 2009.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Well, there is the obvious, team sport championships differ from individual sport championships.
    How many World Series did Billy Martin win? How many did Ted Williams win?
    Martin > Williams?

That Serena felt the need to make her statement says more about what an insecure, immature, bad sport she is than what an incredible tennis player she is.

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Sounds like Serena was speaking the truth, so curb your mock outrage.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Anyone see her shirt yesterday? It read "Look at My Titles" right across her chest.

Thought that was quite classy for Wimbledon.

9. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I don't think anyone has ever associated Serena with class.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Speaking of class, how many courses did you take when getting your degree in sideline psychology?

When you're forced to go beyond the court and use an athletes clothing ensemble against them, you're better off saying "I just don't like them personally."

Personally, I liked the obvious suggestive play on words, but I guess that's lost on some people in their chance to play the "she's classless" card.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Doesn't make what she did classy, either. Whole different issue from her game. You can appreciate her game but still thinks she sucks as a person (not saying I do, just sayin')

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Did her shirt really say that?

Draft saved Draft deleted