1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ah, Serena...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, May 4, 2009.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The humility.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4135094

Once again, she reiterates she's never lost a match in her life.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Daddy's girl, for sure.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

An athlete that believes they're the best.

Am I supposed to be surprised by that link?

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

An athlete that believes and loudly proclaims they're the best, in spite of the evidence.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What's the evidence that she's not?

She shows up fat, out of shape, wins the Aussie Open two years ago. She plays the minimum number of tournaments, yet still manages to achieve a No. 1 ranking (for a while anyway) that she cares little about (otherwise she'd play more).

Only player who ever had her number was Henin, who's retired. Other people might manage a win a year against her, but nobody can beat her regularly, not even her sister.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I dunno. Do you hear Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, two of the greatest players in tennis history by the time they're done, saying this kind of shit?

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Because athletes all don't say the same things. From time to time, many of them have voiced to the general public that they're the best. Is that new to you?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I know you like tennis, so you oughta know better: The reason Williams doesn't/couldn't play more is because her style of game takes a whopping toll on her body. If she played the same number of tournaments as some of the others, she would have retired by now out of the sheer cost to her limbs.

Her style certainly works, but it comes at a cost. Injuries are part and parcel of the way she plays.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's just a thread and a link. Nothing more. Move your schooner on the next campfire if you don't like the grub at this one.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

What's the evidence? Right now she's not ranked No. 1. I'm aware that Safina, the new No. 1, lost to Williams in Australia. I'm aware that Williams won Australia and is also the defending U.S. Open champion. But right now Safina has more points in the rankings, so she is No. 1.

If Williams cares so little about her ranking, why is she complaining that she's still the best?

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

This is nothing new, she's never been beaten by an opponent in her career. Just ask her. She only beats herself, which counts as a win since only Serena can beat Serena, and she's never had to face Tebow.

You stay classy, Serena.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This is why most athletes refuse to say anything. Because, when they're honest, we rip them.

Draft saved Draft deleted