1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ah, About That Vote I Cast...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Mar 2, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

At some point, tho, someone's general vision has to prevail. Can't get around that, unless you want us to be Italy with 100 parties and a presidential election every year. So on some level, you do need someone to form the vision a party fights for. You do need idealogues who hopefully don't become demagogues.

And sad to say, the past eight years have created an atmosphere where lots of people in power will want sweet payback. Not ideal, but it really would be hard to blame.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Most ideologues are more than happy to become demagogues these days. A guy like Jim Cooper, who is working on promoting the SAFE Commission as a Democrat, interested in responsible spendin becomes as useless as Rick Santorum to Fenian.

3. No, Jim Cooper is useless to me because of all the work he did as a Democrat on behalf of those greedy bastards who run insurance companies to torpedo the Clinton health-care plan in 1993.
    What makes you think that there is a great hunger in the GOP for bipartisan solutions that don't give them everything they want? Please cite an example from the past seven years. Hell, go back to the late 1990's, when they impeached a president even though the country told them, over and over again, that it wasn't on board. Please discuss the 51 percent strategy under which Bush and Rove governed from 2000-06. Please discuss the behavior of the congressional minority since then. Please back up your blithering with some fucking facts.
    Thanks for playing, though.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Is there a single politician who is perfect for you?

5. I hope not.
    I don't know anyone's who's perfect, for me or anyone else, at anything.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Christ, I hope not. We're journalists.

But this is not a bad bunch left in the prez race compared with the usual. Was talking to an acquaintance at a social gathering last week:

HER: What'd you think of the debates?

ME: I like them both.

HER: Me too. I don't even mind McCain.

ME: Me neither. I won't vote for him, but he's OK.

HER: I'm voting for Nader.

7. ...and then you ran for the bar, right?

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Eh, free country. Artist, what can you expect?

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Fenian,

After 16 years of keeping score, you think four more years of it is useful?

I loathe most Republican leaders. I mean, loathe. Mostly because they've hijacked the votes of many who claim to be of my faith, and they've done very little of which Christian could be proud. Torture? Spying? Running the economy even further into the dirt by cheerfully encouraging Americans to get raped by insurance, mortgage and credit card companies?

But I am tired of keeping score. I just don't give a shit - and I don't think I ever did - about who fucked who, who needs to get fucked, how hard they need it, how good it'll feel when they do, etc. It just…doesn't really matter all that much. At most, the Dems just run the GOP back to their gated communities.

At this point, I prefer the heap of burning coal.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Wow, you should write movie dialogue.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Nice to see SJ4Obama.com is still going strong. Obama thinks he's Reagan, yet if elected he'll end up like Carter. And it's all so foreseeable. The irony will be quite rich if Obama is elected.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ah, POO, ready to write the history book on President Obama, but couldn't see how HRC would get beat.

An interesting crystal ball you have.

Draft saved Draft deleted