1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aging blows

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Dec 17, 2007.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

I was in terrible pain while working last week. The pain in my hip was almost unbearable when I got out of my chair so I finally went to see a chiropractor today. Well, where do I start? With the bone spurs on my spine? The fact that my spine is too crooked and my neck is too straight? The two vertebrae crushing a disc (I think that's what he said)? Or the fact my right hip is higher than my left, pinching a nerve that caused all the pain to begin with? Getting older sucks.
  2. JR

JR Active Member

It depends how old you are.

Spinited, Casty & I can give you feedback. :)
  3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Getting older sucks pretty much at any point after the age of 25.
  4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

I turned 45 last Thursday.
  5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I'm pretty nearsighted and hit the stage where bifocals become necessary a couple of years ago, but I wear contacts almost exclusively. The eye doctor gave me one lens for up-close and one for distance, which works pretty well.

The problem? I ran out of contacts last week and couldn't find the prescription to get new ones, and the doc didn't have any openings for an exam until later this week. Wearing monofocal glasses that are at least six years old, I spent most of Monday night's basketball game flipping them down to see what was happening on the court, then back up to see what I was scribbling on my note pad.
  6. I'm younger than probably everybody on here, but I can definitely attest to the vision aspect of being older than dirt. I was wearing no-line bifocals in elementary school and became legally blind (without lenses) early in middle school. If I don't have my contacts in, I can't even see my eyes looking in the mirror. The last time I went to the eye doctor about six months ago was the only time in my life where one of my eyes actually improved. Now my vision is the same -- 20x625 -- in both eyes.

So anytime I lose a contact is almost the end of the world.
  7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Aging blows almost as much as chiropractors. Damn witch doctors, I tell ya.
  8. I fell and hurt my lower back rollerskating with the kid a couple of weeks ago. Still hurts. What hurt most was my wife accused me of being in a mid-life crisis. I told her, "I'm 34, I'm not anywhere near mid-life." And then my wife, with the sincerest, most thoughtful look I've ever seen her give me, pats me on the back. "Oh honey," she says. "I love you, but if you make it to 68 I'll be really surprised - happy - but surprised."

A week later I found out my lungs and liver aren't too happy with me. No more smoking - two months now - and I've cut down on the fatty foods and ruled out my eight sodas a day altogether.
  9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Yeah, I would stop drinking my six Mt. Dews a day, but someone's gotta put my dentist's kids through college. But, no, seriously, come January, I'm cutting back on the Dew.
  10. Cutting down on the soda is a huge help. I'm not overweight but each time I quit smoking, I pack on a couple of pounds from all the snacking - and my liver turns to fat. Just eliminating all the sugar from soda and drinking more water worked wonders - though now I'm on caffeine and nicotine withdraw.
  11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

So, other than that, how's it going?
  12. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I've heard good things about Chantix.

A former co-worker swears by it. And my Doc does the same. Then again, so does my nurse ex-girlfriend. So it's 2-1 in favor.
Draft saved Draft deleted