1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agent suggestions?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigugly, Dec 28, 2006.

1. bigugly

bigugly Member

I am looking for a new agent that can handle TV and print. Can any of you recommend someone that you have had great success with?

Thanks

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Release The Hounds!

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

[He was] willing to do just about anything he could to get the biggest possible contracts for his clients, plus a nice commission for himself. Then, one day, he suddenly has second thoughts about what he's really doing. When he voices these doubts, he ends up losing his job and all of his clients, save Rod Tidwell, an egomaniacal football player. Can Jerry resurrect his career while still staying true to himself?

GO WITH THIS GUY.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd go with Scott Boras. Guy's money.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Throw out Drew, Zito -- and for that matter -- Chan Ho Park...
    Jerry had a conscience. He was loyal. Plus he liked that little kid with the glasses and spiky hair.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

drew rosenhaus is probably available

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This question – serious? I can't tell for sure – probably invited this sort of response.

The best advice on the subject I have ever heard, suggested independently by two successful writers, is to target agents who already handle clients doing the kind of work you want to do. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out which agency represents, say, Michael Lewis. His agent isn't going to take you on, obviously, but there may be a newbie agent in the firm who's looking for new clients.

Maybe not.

8. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Sorry, next question.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. Can we be of service with anything else?

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

In all seriousness, I was reading that Michael Wilbon signed a new contract with ESPN that will mean less time at The Washington Post.

You might want to try and find out who his agent is.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't try to use the same agent for both TV and print (and not too many people use an agent for print, unless you mean books...you can use a lawyer if you're in a newspaper contract situation).

TV agenting is a specialty....ask around, and use someone who does specifically what you're looking for (type of media, geographical area, etc). Print is a specialty too--generally, you wouldn't use a TV agent to make a book deal. There are big agencies that do both (ie, IMG) but you work with different agents for each specialty...and success in one area doesn't mean success with others.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So if I find the right agent I can blow this taco stand and end up at the Plain Dealer Daily Planet? SWEEEET!

Draft saved Draft deleted