1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agent confirms Urban Meyer takes Ohio State job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not saying that Meyer faked any of the issues that led him to leave Florida, but I definitely get the impression that he wanted out of that place one way or the other...

It's definitely not a money issue, Florida would have given him anything he wanted. I'm sure we'll never know the whole story...

2. derwood

derwood Active Member

His wife is also from Ohio. Family lifestyle preference.

3. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Money probably wasn't the biggest factor, but I'm sure it helped.

Urban Meyer is 47. He's a coach. He grew up in Ohio and coached at Ohio State. He had the best winning percentage of any coach when he "retired."

He never struck me as one who would be an analyst or commentator very long.

Pretty easy call on both sides even if the Buckeyes get hit with some NCAA sanctions. Unless Meyer's health gets much worse or he loses to Michigan a few years in a row or Notre Dame doubles his salary, this job could be his for a while.

4. ejhayes737

ejhayes737 Member

I'm going to call fraud on the whole family excuse from Meyer. I'm starting to think that he saw the writing on the wall and bolted from Gainesville once Harvin and Tebow left. The cupboard was left pretty empty for Muschamp.

5. Mizzougrad96

Is this true? I remember after Meyer's first "resignation" from UF, I was among those who thought this would kill recruiting.

He went out and signed the No. 1 class in the country.

6. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I'm sure 98 percent of coaches would love to have that empty cupboard. Maybe a down year or two but no reason the Gators shouldn't stay among the top teams in the SEC.

Florida invented football Ha. Just ask Gators fans. I'm sure they will tell you it's true.

7. Mizzougrad96

Meyer's last signing class had 17 players that ESPN ranked among the top 150 players in the country.

8. ejhayes737

ejhayes737 Member

I watched most, if not every, Gator game this season. What stood out of the most to me, besides Muschamp's early season hissy fits, was the lack of talent on the roster. I know we were expected to take our lumps with a new coach and all, but to me, there definitely was an apparent lack of talent on both sides of the ball. I don't know if Urban checked out after winning the 2010 Sugar Bowl, but it sure was weird that he resigned right after Tebow's last game as a Gator.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

How many are still at UF. I heard someone talking about attrition and lack of scholarship players.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Brantley's easily the most-talented quarterback in the SEC. He was national player of the year as a high school senior.

But his skill-position supporting cast is lacking. As much as Verne and Gary love to rave about how fast Rainey and (especially) Demps, can run the 100-meters, they're wide receivers playing running back. They recruited Andre DeBose to be the next Percy Harvin, and thus far he hasn't panned out (partly because they changed the offense).

11. ejhayes737

ejhayes737 Member

DeBose has been a mystery to me. I know he battled injuries his freshman season, but he rarely saw time at WR under Meyer. And I don't know what the heck happened to Brantley. I though he was going to be All-World but he's been a major disappointment to say the least. I imagine a lot of this has to do with him losing his confidence after the fiasco that was last season.

12. Mizzougrad96

I thought the same thing after the first resignation. I thought maybe he realized that he had just been lucky enough to coach a once-in-a-lifetime talent and thought he should get out while on, or close to, the top.

When he went back, I thought, FSU and Miami are going to completely outrecruit him because nobody thinks he'll be at UF longterm. He then signs the No. 1 class in the country.

I don't have an explanation for it.

I think it's kind of interesting with how Donovan left to coach the Magic and Meyer left to spend time with family and one quickly changes his mind and the other is coaxed back after being given a month off.

Maybe just a coincidence. Maybe not.

Draft saved Draft deleted