1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Age working against you

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SEeditor, Jun 11, 2013.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is the crux of the matter, and even if it wasn't, your age would be hurting you more than not having a degree.

Otherwise, half of us who are currently out of our former journalism careers...would not be.

It isn't even that older folks can't do the social-media scene well. It's that they, quite honestly, don't have the interest in it -- in spending every waking moment worrying about blogging and tweeting about every little thing, all the time -- in addition to everything involved in all the traditional work of media jobs.

The total constant-ness of the technology, and the job, is what is turning people -- even younger people, once they've lived it for a while -- off to this business. This is especially true when coupled with the fact that most are not well compensated for virtually giving up their lives to the beat, the paper, the job.

Granted, this may not be quite as much of a factor in copy-editing -- the jobs you undoubtedly would be most interested in -- but the fact remains that this industry is now almost entirely for the young. As in, under 30, and no older than 32.

Anything beyond that, and you are perceived as just...old, and probably, out of step and not to be considered as a new hire, unless, as you've found, it's as an editor at a smaller paper.

I really don't even think it has to do with the money or the willingness to work for less anymore, because anyone still in this business, or wanting to be, know the situation when it comes to money and the prevailing lack thereof.

2. JackS

JackS Member

x1000

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

The kids are running the asylum.

4. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

I think there has been more at play here than a simple shift in preference of information-delivery media or a generation gap.

To write -- and, sometimes, to read and comprehend -- a well-written, informative article takes skill, effort and discipline. You have to be curious, you need to understand the "bigger picture," you must have deep-digging interviewing skills, you have to figure out where and how to get the information you need to present a clear, complete and honest report.

Of course, the same is true of thoughtful, informed editing and creative design -- two aspects which have been devalued to the point of being a sad joke by our idiot society.

To tweet and retweet all day long takes almost none of the above. In fact, being under orders to tweet and retweet and post flip-cam headshot video all day makes it difficult and sometimes impossible to get that work done.

The market? It doesn't seem to mind. Would the average person rather cook a fantastic meal or drive through the McDonald's? Billions and billions have been served, to be mindlessly munched down and shat out by the dumbest geniuses in the history of evolution.

5. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Right or wrong, it's an easy line to draw.

If I'm hiring, and I get 200 applications for an opening, I've got to start somewhere to filter through it.

Do you lose great applicants by drawing that college degree line? Absolutely. But you know there are also great candidates in the remaining pool.

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

It won't be easy. Our last six hires have been younger than 25.

7. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

It also can work against you if you're younger. Big, big jobs (think NYT) often don't hire people right out of college.

8. You're not getting hired at the New York Times by sending in a resume and clips.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Really? So how do you get hired at the Times Captain?

10. How many people have you known that have been hired on through the public NYTCO HR portal without having a connection to the paper?

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I could have started this thread with the same descriptors of myself, except I went back to school and graduated two days ago at the top of my class. Hoping it helps in the job search.

Don't leave me hanging, SJ. Someone say it, please. :D

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Tits or GTFO?

Draft saved Draft deleted