1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Age-old question about clips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by STLIrish, May 10, 2009.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

So, here's a question that I know has been discussed on here before, but that I wonder if the answer is changing.
    When it comes to clips, does a printout (or PDF) of the online version of a story suffice? Or do editors still want to see a photocopy of the printed original?
    I know there's been argument against online in some quarters that web versions of stories can be changed after the fact, and that they're often not as visually impressive as the printed page w/photo and design, etc.
    But with online obviously where we're heading, I wonder if those arguments hold as much water as they did a few years ago (when I last actively looked for a job)?
    PDFs of the web version of a story just seem so much easier to store, to send and, frankly, to read, than photocopies of newsprint that have been sliced and scrunched to fit on an 8 1/2 x 11 page.
    Curious what others think.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i don't understand the argument that web versions can be changed. so can pdf's.

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Correct. Web versions and pdfs (from web versions) can be changed. The original print version, cut out and photocopied, can't.
    I guess what I'm asking is how much people still care about that distinction.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'm talking about pdf's of the actual newspaper page. what's to stop me from reproducing the page (or story package) in quark or indesign? if someone is going to "cheat" and change a clip, they'll do it. of course i'd hope that most work samples i've received when i had an opening were the original but i don't think anyone can edit their clip enough to make me misjudge their abilities that much.

5. thesnowman

thesnowman Member

Best thing you can do if you're using PDFs is to clearly label the date, publication, and page of what you are sending. It adds transparency to the practice. That said, if an editor is that concerned about a doctored document, he/she will verify it on their own.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

As long as they are clear and readable it really doesn't matter to me. When I get a resume with clips that are smoky or blurry I don't even bother with it. Akin to a punctuation error in the cover letter to me.

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Also, make sure you have the address and name of the newspaper right on the cover letters.

It happens more than you'd think.

Draft saved Draft deleted