1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rmzeus, Aug 30, 2015.

1. rmzeus

rmzeus New Member

I work at a 6-day daily paper and we do not use AP so we don't have much access to any sports agate - box scores, standings, etc ...

Wondering if anyone knew of any alternate sources where agate is available.

Thanks

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Whew. I explored this topic at some length 3-4 years back when we seriously considered dropping AP.
    Part of the problem is that AP bought out its most significant competitor(s) and cornered the market.
    Most of its rivals are primarily focused on providing stats for online sites, not print.

3. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

We use Agate Depot, which now gets its stats from AP, so it's a nice workaround.

Only problem is, the format is jacked up and boxes don't give winning, losing and saving pitchers. The pitching lines are also out of sequential order with the starters sometimes listed last. You also have to go in and manually add errors to the scoreline.

I dread finding out how bad the football boxes are going to be in a couple of weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted