1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agate font?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

San-serif font. (Any of the Helvetica derivatives works fine.) It has to be visually distinct from body copy.

Also resist the temptation to introduce too many different fonts for subheads, bold headers, tags, etc etc. Makes the page look goofy and cluttered.

K.I.S.S.

;) ;)

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Never use a serif font that small. Unreadable.
    A multitude of condensed san-serif fonts will work.
    The Franklin Gothic family, at 6.5pt, is best. (Helvetica C, the same.) The structure and readability are most important at that size.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As noted in my initial post, this paper has never run agate. Not sure why, but it never did, so now I'm changing that. Hence, asking what types of fonts everyone here uses.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

The font the NCAA uses in its Final Four record book is great. Haven't the foggiest idea what its called, though.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

We have beautiful agate, and it's all in Helvetica-based fonts (mostly condensed, bold and plain) at 6 pt with 6.5 pt leading.

The headers are Helvetica Black at 12 pt and the subheads are Helvetica Black at 9 pt, centered.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Whatever you do for headers, keep them within the same font family. Use the condensed for the numbers, black or bold for the headers, etc. GillSans is also a large family.

And Clerk, I just looked up the record book and that looks like Avant Garde. Another good sans serif, but the numerals aren't my favorite.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

We use Gothic720 BT (whatever that is) 6.5 point size 7 on the leading. Reads fine.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If you have 9-pica columns ... and you're using a non-condensed type larger than 7-point ... you're going to have considerable trouble in tabular wire agate, making it all fit. Hockey standings are especially difficult.

I say this knowing that most people ARE using 7-point or below, but I think it bears mentioning for someone who is starting his agate stuff from scratch. You're going to be torn between trying to make it all readable and trying to make it all fit.

So use that as a rule of thumb ... if you're tempted to go up to 7.5 point to make it easier for the 60-year-olds to read, you're going to run into trouble. And if you try to take it down to 6-point, yes, it IS going to be difficult to read by anyone with less than 20-20 vision.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Using bolded font in the appropriate spots can make reading a lot easier if you're going below 7 for font size.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We used to use Helvetica, but now we're phasing in Frutiger at minus-30 kerning. It looks more modern.

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Checked it against the Avant Garde on my computer and it doesn't match. Numerals are very different. Thanks for looking, though.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Try Avant Garde Gothic, if you've got it.

Draft saved Draft deleted