1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agate Editor, Dallasssssssssssssss

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Feb 6, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Unless I am on crack, this is the first time I've seen a DMN sports ad on www.journalismjobs.com -- ever.

Company: The Dallas Morning News
    Position:
    Sports Agate Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    March 13, 2007
    Job ID: 734803

Description:
    Full-time sports agate editor

The Dallas Morning News has an opening for a full-time agate editor for its award-winning SportsDay section.

Leading candidates will have good organizational skills, exhibit poise under extreme deadline pressure and be good collaborators. They should have a broad range of sports knowledge and good command of language and AP style. Candidates should be aspiring copy editors with the ability to grow into that role.

Leading candidates also may have an online background or experience working with a digital news operation. A willingness to embrace print/web integration is a must.

The schedule will require night and weekend work. At least two years of professional newspaper experience is preferred.

Please send your resumes to dmnjobs@dallasnews.com

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There have been a few.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This isn't your Dave Smith's DMN...

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Being somewhat close to this disaster of a joint, this will be an eye-opening underpay in terms of salary.

DMN, the once-Encyclopedia Britannica of sports sections where newspaper beancounters have demonstrated that if they can turn this into a shadow of its former self, your job is in great peril too.

5. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Unless this is your first job out of college or a step up from a very small newspaper, run for the hills before applying for this one!

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Do they still sell dirt-cheap burritos from carts on the street there?

7. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

Definitely not. What a shame. Another gold-standard job gone to dust.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hilary - can't get a job in news?

9. zman82

zman82 Member

filled it from within and moved someone else over. apparently there's a lot of part-time help over there right now.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I said it last time and I'll say it again: The mere fact the DMN has to advertise for applicants shows how far that paper has fallen.

11. But this is for an agate editor position, not for a Cowboys beat writer or a deputy sports editor position.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I rest my case.

Draft saved Draft deleted