1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Against All Odds: Should the Cubs retire Kerry Wood's number?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 14, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've never been to Wrigley, or Fenway, which by natural extension belongs in the debate.

I'd much rather be a fan in one of those places where it's about more than just winning and losing.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Talk about against all odds.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN200310150.shtml

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think you missed again.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If the scorekeeper(s) at Wrigley wasn't such a fucking homer those days, it could have been a no-hitter. But that was early, so they decided to bail out the Cubs' fielder instead.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Here's the more important question: If Kerry Wood's number is retired, do you have to get him a card?

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No, you have to buy him candy and take him to dinner.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Retiring numbers just seems like such a fucking cliche anyway. There's no emotion attached to it.

And don't get me started on the assholes who will say nice things at Wood's funeral.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So that's the measuring stick in here? Heaven help us.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

"Here lies Kerry Wood. He had an incredible talent. He could throw a curve-ball that could make the best hitters in the game buckle their knees. He had a slider that at times was unhittable. But more importantly........most of all........He was good in The Client."

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

That reminds me, I've been meaning to start 234 new threads on whether or not Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If by "always", you mean "since 1984" ... then yes.

There was no such thing as the "Wrigley Experience" before then. And the "Fenway Experience" didn't really start until 1967, either.

Generations of Cubs/Red Sox owners tried to get rid of both parks, because they were dumps and nobody went there. It's only been in the last generation or so that they've become national treasures (and rightfully so, given the necessary upgrades.) Before that? Not even close.

Draft saved Draft deleted