1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Against All Odds: Should the Cubs retire Kerry Wood's number?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Re: Should the Cubs retire Kerry Wood's number?

Why is it ridiculous? Sorry: Why "i" it ridiculous? A Cubs broadcaster said it. So you can connect the dots and figure it's something the team is thinking about.

I think it seems silly, too, but I think there's something to be considered/discussed regarding players who are local icons even though, from the outside looking in, it might not add up.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Not before they retire Sosa's number.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Just because a broadcaster said it doesn't mean the team is thinking about doing it ...

4. Dick Whitman

I agree. But it might.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Or, you just couldn't resist starting another doodah-level thread. My typo doesn't make your thread any less ridiculous. I poked in hoping you were kidding and had something funny to say. I should have known better.

6. Dick Whitman

This board needs more Steelers talk and less Cubs talk, damn it.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Kerry Wood Hall of Famer? :D

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

When I start a Levon Kirkland: Hall of Famer? thread you might actually have some room to talk.

9. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Kerry Wood is one of my top five all-time favorite Cubs, and I chuckled as soon as I saw this thread. I mean they gave Mark Grace's number to Bobby Hill, for chrissakes.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Same here. I thought it was even better than Johnson's perfect game.

12. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

To many Cubs fans Wood is in the top five for favorite Cubs (especially younger fans). Some of that has to do with the 20 strikeout game, part of it is he was part of the 1998 season that obviously had a lot going on including a WC berth and a large part of it is the incredible amount of loyalty he has shown.

All that said he has no business being consideration being up there with the Sandberg's and the like.

Draft saved Draft deleted