1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Again, Esquire?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, May 29, 2011.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Cover line on the June/July issue: "How To Be A Man."

(Snore).

Too bad, there's a good interview with Louis C.K.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

By contrast, that would be a hell of a cover line on Cosmo.

3. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

A pair of testicles?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nice to see Doyel branching out.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

31.if things don't go your way, accept your fate and don't whine.
    Man up

6. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

It's an age-old trick.

Who's telling women they're ugly? Beauty magazines.

Who's telling men they're not masculine? Men's magazines.

7. GermanKeyser

GermanKeyser Member

You can't leave out Junod's piece on John Lasseter. That was damn good.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Men's fashion magazines that want me to wear clothes designed by gay men, like these slim-fit suits that make everyone look like an eight-year-old boy. And if you're overweight, you look like a sausage stuffed into an eight-year-old's suit.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Huh.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The "gay men" as designers complaint has been a long running one in fashion. It's even more prevalent in women's fashion.

Regardless of the orientation of the designers, the basic complaint boils down to designers designing more for themselves and fashion editors than for the public.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I love the tailored clothes they show in Esquire and GQ. I don't think they make men look like "8-year-old boys." Quite the contrary, the oversized suits that most American men sport make them look like an 8-year-old boy trying to wear dad's suit. The stuff in GQ and Esquire - other than the really colorful, hip-hoppy stuff aimed at 21-year-old Eminem wannabes - is terrific. That being said, I can understand the complaint that they don't really help overweight men very much. Occasionally they'll address that. For a while, GQ had a monthly feature where they picked schlumpy men off the street and gave them a fashion makeover, including some bigger men. Don't know why they haven't had it lately.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I had a great tailor when I lived in NYC that I would take all of my suits to.

The difference between how a well tailored suit looks and one that has just had the sleeves & pant legs shortened is incredible.

Draft saved Draft deleted