1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Again, another example of why gay rights just isn't the stopping point.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog eat dog world, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So this teacher is using the authority gained from her employment at the school to undermine a school-sanctioned activity and the authority of her superior? I'm gonna go ahead and guess that's not allowed in her contract. There's not a job in the world where you could go around your boss like that, on free speech or any other grounds.

These parents have every right to organize their own prom, just like the white proms in the south (that Georgia school that got rid of its suddenly had one again a few years later). To each their own bigotry. But for her to participate, when her employment at the school is the only reason anyone would let her be involved, and when her employment lends legitimacy to the effort? No way.

That said, the fact that sexual orientation isn't universally protected from discrimination is a disgrace. And to those who claim that discrimination should only be prohibited for things outside one's control, I say only this: If you believe being gay is a choice, and therefore ineligible for protection from discrimination, I assume you feel the same way about protection from discrimination on the basis of religion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.