1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Again, another example of why gay rights just isn't the stopping point.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog eat dog world, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Society is under no obligation to show "TOLERANCE!!!!!!" for stupidity, or bigotry.

2. AtticusFinch

AtticusFinch Member

Aww, poor bigots.

People don't tolerate bigotry. Deal with it.

3. printit

printit Member

I don't think you read this case.
    1. The case is recent and was decided 5-4. I guess by the standard you keep arguing when Heller comes up, this is not "well settled law."
    2. More importantly, the DA in Ceballos wrote a memo in the course of his employment. The Court (well, 5 of them) made a distinction between speech made while on the job in the course of employment and speech made as a private citizen. The Indiana school teacher expressed an opinion in a church, at a meeting, on her own time. Not even close to the same thing.

I remain fascinated by the narrow view of the First Amendment taken by so many journalists. I wonder if your opinion(s) would be different if some high school journalism teacher had published these anti-gay prom thoughts in the high school paper.

4. printit

printit Member

These are private schools and, as such, free as private employers to set different rules. Likewise, if a private school opened up called Tolerance School, and said as a condition of working there one had to believe gay marriage was great, and teacher X signed the contract, took the money, and said, "Hey, just kidding, I hate gay marriage" then Tolerance School would have every right in the world to fire teacher X.

5. printit

printit Member

The NAMBLA case deals with freedom of association, not free speech. Two different things. And NAMBLA is a group that calls for child rape, which is a pretty compelling reason to fire someone from working in a school. Not even close to what is being talked about here.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Printit, I've not once used Heller's 5-4 vote to support an argent that it isn't settled law. Heller is settled law. And it's also narrow. The Second Amendment isn'tt settled law because the contours have yet to be mapped out. That had nothing to do with Heller being 5-4. I don't know how you possibly arrived at that from anything I've written.

7. printit

printit Member

Heller made clear what many (including Obama) have said for years. The Second Amendment protects an individual's right to bear arms. You have repeatedly diminished that, using the line that Heller "isn't settled law" alluding (I thought) to the closeness of the vote and/or the recent nature of the decision. I'll take the fact you didn't respond to anything else I wrote in the post as you agreeing with me.

8. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Damn right. And LTL the reason you're befuddled by that remark is that it's never occurred to you that the economy is a hot issue when compared to gay marriage, which has been proven in this room time and time again by the left on this site to be THE issue. Since the left in here and the base are synonymous.

Oh and Rorrin Nadd (whatever you call yourself, I think Nadd sounds better): A First Amendment country must respect the right of anyone to say what they think. We let KKK march, don't we? I hate to, you know, bust the bubble surrounding your "inclusive" hypocrisy, but it must be done.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes, their intolerance is legally acceptable. And?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Of course a homophobe thinks nad sounds better.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

no, dog. damn wrong. any of my kids' teachers want to talk ignorant shit such as that, and i'll be the first down at the district office, leading a band of pissed off parents, demanding a firing and not a resignation.
    thing is, dog, if you own a position in the public these days, hating somebody because they aren't like you no longer is accepted ... imagine that, a value that the church is supposed to teach children from the time they walk through the doors of a place that preaches love.
    you claim to be a man about the bible, dog. please act like it and show us that you care about others that don't look and act like you and your neighbors ... maybe even read that book a little harder and realize the son of god wasn't about inflicting pain on others. seems to me, you pick and choose what sticks with you out of that book. that ain't cool, cause IMHO, if you're going to be a proud christian, you probably should err on loving your fellow man and then screw the rest of the shit up instead of the other way around.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Someone's personal view of the Bible has no place in a public school anyway. [/stokingthatfire]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.