1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Again, and again. . .

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by verbalkint, Apr 8, 2009.

1. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iHZ31toPbXc7TAqh5Wd8KfPlK4EQ

The article also recounts other recent shootings, but leaves out the Oakland police shootings. By my count, including shooters themselves, 55 dead since March 10.

I'll make no comment on this, other than to say that when I saw the headline, I at first thought, "Wait, haven't I heard about this one already?"

And then, when I went to see if it was on the Times' website, this:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/04/08/us/AP-CA-Retreat-Shooting.html?_r=1&hp

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Better. Gun. Laws. Please.

And SOON.

Awful story.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

But we don't need gun control, we just need fewer psychos with guns.

4. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Can we gun down all the psychos?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Chris Rock hads the best idea: charge $5,000 per bullet.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

YEAH GUNS!!!

I don't have a problem with law-abiding people having guns, but I've got to think if you yank guns from people who don't abide laws, whether its a domestic violence beef or a DUI, or any crime that reflects a disregard for the law, and make it a felony to provide such a person a gun, some of this stuff might be abated.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you're planning a murder/suicide, could you just do the suicide part first?

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Would make things so much more simple ...

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Then you'd have to make it the governments business preventing gun sales to non-law abiding citizens not the store owners. Then again, that wouldn't work because the government can't even keep people without car insurance or with suspended licenses of the road.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if going Switzerland and requiring everyone to pack heat wouldn't be the way to go.

I guarantee you, that Luby's dude would be Swiss cheese the second he pulled out the gun.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Stop wondering. No, that wouldn't be the way to go. (Based on the second line, you may be kidding, but I know there are others who actually like that idea.)

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think FB was joking. Even though the Swiss do have a lot of guns ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

Draft saved Draft deleted