1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After years of sobriety, columnist returns to the bars

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Mar 19, 2007.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Fine, I get it. you didn't like the column and you're going to pick it apart. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

My grandfather is fighting the losing battle with prostate cancer. My thoughts and prayers will be with Ken. And, I've now read three of his columns (sports bars, sports writer and prostate cancer) and think all three are excellent.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

This is sorta the same story as the one when I went to a church.

YHS, etc

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

C'mon. The guy mentions his five wives and that doesn't get a follow-up question?

Interesting read.

5. I thought it was odd they let that go too.

BTW,
    I was visiting the Post and Courier website and discovered my new favorite (non-sports) columnist .. Bryce Donovan. I think he's pretty freaking funny. Very Dave Barry-like. I spent the last 45 minutes of company time reading his old columns.

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Bryce Donovan is very good.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

The anti-fan stuff struck me as the kind of thing that would draw a lot of criticism on this board if one of our own said it.

8. I've read more fascinating interviews on that site. I thought the anti-fan stuff was interesting -- and explains why he was so hostile toward the fans in that column. You don't necessarily have to like sports fans to be a sportswriter, but you damn sure better try to understand them, and I don't think he's made an effort.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Certainly sounded condescending to me.

Average column, interesting angle.
    No awards likely to be given for the work.

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Umm, think he was joking?

11. Maybe. I only knew about four ex-wives.

Draft saved Draft deleted