1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After Tuesday Hillary WILL ... ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Feb 28, 2008.

?

Assuming a split, what will Hillary do?

1. Stay in the race and make it ugly with lawyers, etc.

18 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Stay in the race but keep it relatively civil.

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. Bow out gracefully.

15 vote(s)
    22.4%
  4. Bow out with serious snark, taking potshots, etc.

8 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. I don't pretend to know what Hillary will do.

20 vote(s)
    29.9%
  1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Neither Ohio nor Texas are going to yield huge wins for her.

Neither is Pennsylvania.

If she hangs in, she's hanging in in hope of a gargantuan BO faux pas . . . or the sudden ability of the Clinton clan to strongarm more supers than they can rightfully expect.

If she thinks she can somehow con the world into winner-take-all results out of Michigan and Florida, after at first renouncing such succor . . .
    the party's fractured.

Where's the upside?

And who's going to pay the freight while all this raindancing is going on?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ben didn't you hear? They've lost Lewis, it's over.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I heard that. Can you imagine the verbal buffeting that poor bastard absorbed, over the last month? Suicide-inducing.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I voted that she'll eventually bow out, but leave in a blaze of bitter.

As a journalist, I do think it will be a more interesting story if she gets all the way to the convention intending to fight tooth and nail. Because then you've got Bill hopping in again, and all bets are off as far as what an ambitious politician and their campaign are willing to do in that situation. But I don't think that will happen; some kind of deal should happen before the convention, but I think she'll make Obama really beg for her to bow out.

As I have said before, I don't care if Obama would be asked to bow out by the media if the positions were reversed. And can we honestly say that, with as much Cult of Personality as he has, with as much Hollywood as he has behind him, and with the fact he is a compelling candidate? I don't honestly know. Maybe it would be loud-ER than it has been for Hillary, but I wouldn't blame him to sticking through to the end.

And as has been said . . . the Republican Machine will have a grand old time with Obama this fall if he and his acolytes are freaked about a beaten Hillary continuing to make speeches. It won't help the GOP win, but . . . it will make for compelling journalism.

5. JackS

JackS Member

...will start trying to figure out the best way to the WH at some later date.

If that means staying in and weakening Obama so that he'll lose and she'll be in the running for 2012, she'll do it.

If that means dropping out and supporting Obama (even grovelling for VP) so that he'll have a better chance to win and she'll be in better shape for 2016, she'll do it.

Since she ran for Senate in 2000, everything she does is with an eye on Pennsylvania Avenue. I don't believe she'll let that dream die.

After all, the Clintons have another freakin' rock star studded self glorifying library to dedicate.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

She can try . . . but the Dems trend younger . . . and her age/mindset have hurt her in this campaign. Compared to BO, she's stodgy, and
    in that beauty contest, that matters.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At this point I just can't fathom Obama wanting The Clintons anywhere near his campaign.

8. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

According to this, Hillary is bowing out Friday.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/2/27/153044/184/615/465173

But I'm not sure I buy it. Why would she drop out now? Why before March 4? Is she trying to avoid the letdown? It's all over the blogs now. By tonight, it'll be on your newscasts for sure.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That's quite the rumor to liven up this thread. Thanks, IS.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's just not going to happen.

11. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I saw on DU that someone is pointing out that there is a futures deal where the chances of Hillary bowing out just went sky high. Not sure what that means.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Not sure when, but when she does, it will be graceful. Even Gore, who kicked & screamed as long as he could, and then after a hiatus started kicking and screaming again, dropped out gracefully in the best speech he has ever given, and likely ever will. These days, it's the only way to go. She'll say she is going to "get back to doing the work of the American people" and pledge to work together to assure a victory in the fall. Whether or not she actually does it, or is bitter & snarky behind the scenes to reporters is a different questions.

PS- I'm not having a Bush Gore 2000 conversation today.

Draft saved Draft deleted