1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After The Interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Italian_Stallion, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

"What's expected after you've been interviewed for a job" you ask? One simple, but almost-forgotten courtesy: Send them a handwritten thank-you letter as soon as humanly possible after leaving the building, and not an e-mail, which likely will get lost in the shuffle (today I've had 200 emails from John McCain, Hillary and Barack either urging me to vote or telling me where their victory parties are going to be tonight). A handwritten thank-you is extremely memorable to those (including me), who have hired. You'll get remembered, and usually in a good light.

I've sent them out as an applicant as well and they've always worked.

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

No harm in calling to ask what's going on, and I wouldn't necessarily take the delay as a bad sign. It could just be that there were other issues that arose. Maybe there was a big story in the area that grabbed the editor's attention. Maybe there's a minor budgetary issue that needs to be addressed, or other corporate red tape, before making a hire. I twisted for about a month or so after the interview before getting hired for my current job.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm not sure you know, but quite a few people around here do, but i fucking hate unsolicited phone calls ... with a passion.

but these guys dropped the ball by not getting ahold of you when they said they would. call them. be direct. tell them they missed their deadline. you simply want to know what's up. get your answer.

they owe you an answer at this point.

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

My first thought is always double check the resume to make sure it's right. And likely it is. Like your siad, that's how they set up the interview. But are you sure about that? If you email your stuff in, some people read the phone off your initital email, or on the cover letter with your resume. Both my email and Cover letter had some line similar to "I can be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx."
    Many hirers scane the resume briefly, then maybe the cover letter and if they like what they've seen they'll call to interview often getting the number from that line. At that point, the email or cover letter is no longer much needed and any call back based on your job may be from the resume itself. Triple check this.

Also, don't assume that just because they say they have emailed and you never saw it they are lying. Triple check your email address as well, and you spam filters. I just noticed the other day that one of my email accounts blocks everything from the Houston Chronicle. And I've never messed with this spam filter, and most of the stuff I get on it shows that too (I will likely always be able "to please the ladies," "get my medications at half price" and "find a sex partner tonight" but apparently, I can get nothing from Houston).

More than likely, you are okay on both, but still, triple check. Otherwise, like already said, call and write. Follow ups are good.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Recently sent a thank-you note for a couple job interviews I just had. If nothing else, I hope they remember the courtesy if and when I don't get the job and another opens later.

6. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I like the idea of this thank you note. Should I pick up a packet with the pre-printed "thank you" on the front or just toss a hand-written note of thanks into an envelope?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

just a thought: if the person you interviewed with has nuts, thank you notes mean nothing.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You can buy 20 or so for about $5 at Target. VERY wise investment.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Any editor who hates unsolicited calls is in the wrong line of work. What if a reporter came to you and said they won't call someone because the person on the other end doesn't like unsolicited calls?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

don't for a fucking second think you have the sack to tell me in what profession i should or shouldn't participate.

11. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

I assume he meant phone calls for jobs that aren't advertised. Makes sense to me.
    Maybe I'm wrong.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted