1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After 15 years it's over

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by highlander, Jun 25, 2009.

1. highlander

highlander Member

But I do get to go pick up my stuff from the cubicle on Thursday morning. Thanks.

2. Wow, all these years working in Texas and I had no idea companies could stiff you on vacation time. Every time I've found a new job, my old paper always gave me what I had coming, so I just figured it was a matter of law, like overtime. Silly, naive me.

This is a state where "Right to Work" is a sick joke. To deny someone their just compensation is a criminal act in my opinion, even though now I realize the law sees it differently.

Hang in there, highlander. Surely somehow there's a way to get your vacation pay.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

No severance after 15 years? Just awful.

Sorry to hear it.

4. highlander

highlander Member

Got an e-mail from our HR person. Last year something was added to employees handbook about not paying vacation time. I left with 160 hours of vacation time.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Find a copy of the state labor laws. This could be nothing more than a convenient handbook edit because they knew they were going to be laying off people soon.

What the state says overrules any HR handbook.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

See, I've always thought when the boss shows up at a staff meeting, shoves handbooks under everyone's nose and says, "Oh yeah, sign these on your way out," it's a sign of big trouble.

Highlander, those pricks at your shop will probably say, "See, you signed this handbook and agreed to the new rules regarding vacation time." Which is bullshit because usually those books are given to you with a "sign this or you're fired" understanding.

That's a month's worth of pay sitting there, Highlander. A month of money YOU EARNED. I hope you're able to get it.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As I said before, you had to meet an attorney somewhere along the line in 15 years. See if they'll send a letter nudging them in the right direction. You signed under duress is a good thing to remember.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Did you actually sign anything (under duress or not?) when they implemented these changes? Reading your post, it seems like you accumulated this time prior to the rules change. That is time that you earned under a previous agreement of employment between you and your employer.

Hopefully, you find a lawyer that can help you.

9. highlander

highlander Member

That was last year, when they made the changes according to the HR person. Never signed anything, just received an e-mail about the changes. I don't even think they sent out new employee handbooks, because that would cost money.

I have talked to several lawyers and none thing I can recoup anything, mostly due to the bankruptcy. The day after we were let go, the companies sale was completed. So technically, any correspondence would be going to a new company that is owned by the creditors and banks.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That sucks, Highlander. The only thing I can think of is to sue for it, and if you win, hope to collect if the company ever emerges from bankruptcy.

What a shitty business.

11. highlander

highlander Member

Oh the company just was sold and now the official name has a II at the end. Sounds like a video game.

I wonder if it is available on Wii and PSP?

12. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted