1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After 15 years it's over

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by highlander, Jun 25, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, but what are they gonna do if he raises a stink now? Fire him? Nothin' to lose.

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Good luck highlander... hope you at least get the vacation money

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

15 years and a kick out the door. These company execs don't realize what pieces of dung they are.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

*raises hand that he gets paid for OT*

If you don't, it's your own fault. I'd love to have my paper not pay me OT and then fire me when I refused to work for free. I'd own the place.

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

My thoughts are with you, highlander.

Don't let these pricks screw you over. You don't owe them anything. Talk to a lawyer ... make sure you at least know that you can do here. Don't just assume you have to take this crap and walk away.

What the hell is happening in this business when we can't treat people with a little dignity?? Walking people to the door like common criminals? Ugh!!

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My hand is raised.

At my first place, they paid a straight salary, although they paid extra for writing for their advertising tabs. So yeah, I got screwed, but it was my first job.

Second place, they tried to not pay me OT. I told them that if I wanted to work for free, I would have stayed at my first shop and that I wasn't going to work one minute over 40 hours. They paid.

Current place: Pays OT willingly, although we're told to warn our boss that we're getting near 40.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

Sorry to hear about your job. Dust off your clip file and send out resumes now. Don't lose belief in yourself. You can find another job. I got bounced last October as the SE of a twice-a-week paper, and the dumbass who let me go told me I'd never work in the industry again. He told me he would spread the word and see to it that I never got another newspaper job. By March I was named the ME of a chain of three weekly papers. You can find a job, don't give up. Keep trying and keep your confidence. I expect to see a post from you soon telling us you found another job.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

ah, must be the d/fw star community group

9. redsox99

redsox99 Member

I was thinking cnhi. Smells like that POS outfit.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Chazp, did you know that the dumbass who fired you also broke the law when he said he'd "spread the word" on you? Not that suing now would mean anything, since you have a job, but interfering with potential employers is a federal crime. That's why previous employers are coached by their lawyers only to say that so-and-so worked from date A to date B and not a whole lot else.

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Highlander, you were treated horribly by rank amateurs. I wish you the best.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Highlander was indeed treated horribly by rank amateurs.
    Others here were treated far too kindly far too long before The Ziggy.

Draft saved Draft deleted