1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After 130 Yrs., RIP Ladies Home Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BNWriter, Apr 24, 2014.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=BLOOM&date=20140424&id=17554465

Did not think it belonged on Journalism Board, but this is still a loss of a longtime publication. We mourn papers calling it quits, and some mags, too. Here is one that probably is one of the longest.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

All went downhill when the womenfolk started worrying about votes instead of quilts.

They're like the Negroes. You have to ask yourself if they might have been better off.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Thanks for chiming in?

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Noooooo!!! I loved reading LHJ at grandma's house as a kid.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine put on Facebook today that her resume now included three defunct magazines, didn't know which was the latest 'til now. Yikes.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

They're throwing in the towel with 3 million readers and $152 million in ad revenue last year? WTF?

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My understanding is that they're going quarterly and the magazine will be produced by a special sections group the company owns in Des Moines.

So they're really just dumping eight issues plus the high-priced staff in NYC. I'd imagine the cost savings will be pretty immense.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I would look through my mother's LHJ and Redbook when I was a kid after reading National Geographic and my father's Outdoor Life. Sounds like LHJ is making a smart decision to go quarterly.

Draft saved Draft deleted