1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After 12 years, 'Rent' will close June 1

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxramblings07, Jan 16, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Mortgage was better.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Emily Hsu . . .she was the Lady in the show I saw last week. Pretty lady.

At my show, the Knights lost it when the dude in seat A101 said his name was "Schwartz." Then they announced that they could finally succeed on Broadway because, you know . . . . . (reference to song from earlier in the show)

They all had red faces during the finale, they were laughing so hard.

Excellent show.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I think Mortgage had a 30-year run.

But who could forget that off-broadway review, Subprime Mortgage.
    It was a total flop, IIRC.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Never saw it (except for bits and pieces of the film), but I did buy the cast recording out of curiosity when the show was new. Can't say it did anything for me. Larson clearly had talent and it's a shame he couldn't fully develop it, but the work itself is awfully naive. The parody in "Team America" ("Everyone Has AIDS")captured it quite well.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

One of my all time favs. You need to see it a few times to appreciate it as it can be confusing the first time out.
    Love the soundtrack and listen to it all the time.
    I met Anthony Rapp when he is was Pittsburgh in the play "Hedwig and the Angry Inch", which I adored.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Never seen it; tried out the cast album after hearing the song about 10,000 minutes (or whatever it is) and never played it again.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Another case where the original ("La Boheme") is better than the sequel.

8. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

My wife and I saw it this past summer. It was my first time and her 10th (she was a die-hard before we met).

It was the first night that Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp (the original Mark and Roger) were back for their six-week run. The house was packed, and when the cast walked on stage at the start of the show, the crowd gave them a 10-minute standing ovation that was louder and more passionate than anything I've heard in a stadium in long time.

The show was fantastic. The movie doesn't do it justice.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In the immortal words of Christopher Moltinsanti while on line at the fast food joint after seeing the show:

Fuckin' Broadway musicals. I mean we're supposed to get all fuckin' weepy-eyed cause they turned off the heat in some guy's loft?

10. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Saw it in St. Louis, but would love to see it at the Nederlander before it closes.

A Rockwell portrait of fail: Yours truly and his friends, walking wasted from bar to bar, singing "What You Own" to no one in particular.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Way past due, if you ask me.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I saw it for the first time a couple of years ago. Wow, did it seem dated.

Draft saved Draft deleted