1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afraid of Romenesko?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cadet, Sep 24, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm very familiar with the magazine and it's history, both from people who worked there and people who had legitimate beefs with it.

Two things about what you said strike me. Yeah, it was wild how much resistance the magazine got. People were terrified of being skewered and they would act like deer in the headlights and stonewall or call in the lawyers when a reporter from that place called.

It was also somewhat justified. Brill was a self-appointed watchdog, and he wasn't exactly an impartial watchdog. The magazine sometimes wasn't the fairest -- it had an agenda and sometimes would present something negative without giving equal time to a factor that undermined the agenda. I can't give specifics, but for example, I have a friend who was an editor at a woman's magazine, and she got grossly misrepresented by Brill's Content. They had a premise for a story that was meant to make the genre look bad, and they weren't going to let something that didn't fit with the premise get in the way of the story. Knowing the backstory, I thought it was egregious.

Also, I think the "media" if there is such a cohesive entity, tends to take its importance too seriously. Don't forget that Brill's Content folded up (and probably lasted way longer than it would have if it didn't have the people behind it who were willing to waste the money on it because they overestimated the premise) because regular people weren't buying a magazine that was supposed to be a media watchdog. Most people just didn't care.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Completely disagree.

They would be fragged.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Really? That just seems weird.

I'd never even heard of Romenesko until I read about him on this site and I've never been to his site unless someone here links it.

Maybe it is something certain chains are wary about, because they keep piling on the layoffs.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I have not.

5. Had a former co-worker suspended for a day (maybe it was two, I forget) for leaking an inhouse memo to Romenesko. They used the IT guys to track it down. He's managed to do just fine despite the suspension, but it just went to show where the sentiments lied with the higher ups.

6. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

The lesson learned is to leak stuff from a library computer.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Isn't fragging when a commander is shot by his own troops?

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragging

I always take it to mean using a small explosive device to accomplish the same end.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I spoke at length with Romanesko back in 2001 at the time of the great USA Today "Big Blue Ball" scandale. Seemed like an OK dude at that time.

10. I liked the idea of Brill's, but your post reminded me of my biggest problem with the magazine - the magazine's writers were usually a lot less experienced than the people they were covering, and it showed in their sourcing, fairness and talent.

The idea was great but the execution left a lot to be desired.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

In this climate, I doubt they're overly concerned with image anymore. It's like "The Island of Doctor Moreau" -- once the taboo of eating flesh and blood is broken, there are no rules.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

What is the law?

Draft saved Draft deleted